Chapter 7

Evelyn's pov

I was sitting near the campfire with some of the people from camp Papa, Glenn, Ramirez, T-Dog, Jim, and Dale were bashing the monster's heads, making sure that they don't come back they were also doing the same thing with our people that were killed by the monsters. Carl was trying to help me get over the fact that I almost died last night; I was staring off into space when all of a sudden, I heard people yelling. My head snapped in the direction that it was coming from to see that Rick was pointing a gun at Papa's head. I snapped when I saw that. I quickly grabbed a rock next to me before throwing it at Rick's head; he yelped in pain before grabbing the back of his head, making everyone look at me, shocked. 

"We just lost almost everyone in camp last night!" I snapped while glaring at all the adults making everyone look down at the ground, "But since you think that you used to be a cop and you're friends with Shane doesn't mean you get to point a gun at my Papa's head!"

I started walking away with Todd at my heels.

"I told you guys that you'd feel our pain!" I said, making everyone look at one another

Third person's pov

Everyone stared at little Evelyn, shocked at what she just said. All the people that went to the city with Merle felt guilt, everyone but one that is. Andrea stared after Evelyn with anger in her eyes; she was angry that her sister was dead, and she was mad at the fact that both Dixons think that they all had it coming just for leaving behind a racist and sexist redneck. Everyone started taking all of the members they lost the night before up to the hill where Jim made the graves; the only person who did not join was little Evelyn Dixon. She sat in her favorite tree, staring out to the city — hoping and praying that her Uncle was still alive and was somewhere safe where the world cannot bother him. After the funeral was over, the group started packing their things to get to the CDC, hoping to find safety, maybe even hoping that Jim can get cured of this virus. Daryl walked to his camp only to see his daughter's fox staring up at the tree with his tail wagging; he looked up to see Evelyn staring at the city where his brother's last location. 

"Evelyn, let's go," Daryl said. Evelyn looked down at her father before she started climbing down the tree.

She jumped the rest of the way down before walking to her father; they started packing up and getting everything ready to leave. Evelyn grabbed her duffel bag and her father's before taking it to the truck; she opened the door while calling for Todd. The little fox came running towards her quickly before hopping into her father's truck; she heard something substantial get placed in the vehicle's bed, making her look in that direction. Evelyn's heart broke when she saw her Uncle's motorcycle sighing; she got in, slamming the door behind her. Rick watched his son starring at Dixon's truck, and when he looked as well, his eye caught the youngest Dixon looking out at the city. 

"You know, it's not your fault." Rick heard behind him; he looked to see his wife

"A little girl lost her Uncle while a man lost his brother." He said, looking back at Dixon's truck

"If you didn't do what you did, you all would haven't come back if you hadn't." She explained

Lori hugged her husband from behind from a distance, staring at them in envy was her ex-lover, Shane Walsh. Anger and jealousy ran through his veins as he watched the woman he loved to show affection to her husband, who is also his best friend. Everyone knows about Lori and Shane's relationship before her husband came back from the dead, but they knew that one way or another, Rick was going to find out. Daryl looked at his daughter and felt his heart clench; he wished that Merle just listened to him the day Shane found them in the woods. If only he just stayed with Evelyn, then none of this would be happening; Evelyn wouldn't be staring off into space utterly blank to the world.

Evelyn's pov

Everyone was talking about what we are doing on our way to the CDC. Morales and his family are not saying that they want to be with family. I blocked everyone out after that; this group is getting smaller and smaller by the minute, and it all started because these people only think how they did before the world ended. They must learn that the world isn't like it was, and they must learn that a bigger group is the only way to survive. I know, I must sound heartless and sound older than I am. But, this world changes people and losing family changes people as well. I was born with the way I think. I may not like the people in this group, but I am friends with some of them, and I need to keep the ones I care for close to me. Todd licked my cheek, making me look down at him and smile. I started petting him when Papa climbed into the truck. We smiled at one another before Papa began to follow everyone else. I watched Morales's family disappear in the rearview mirror. We now only have eleven people in the group, and since Jim is infected, then that means we're going to go down to ten people. I feel bad because he must be in a lot of pain. I sighed before closing my eyes and let sleep take over my body.

Daryl's pov

I looked at Evelyn in the corner of my eye to see that she had fallen asleep. Her head was leaning on the window as her fox was curled into a little ball asleep as well. I sighed before looking back at the road.

"How long has it been since she slept?" I thought, "maybe it was when I left for the city."

We just exited the city when everyone pulled over to the side of the road; I sighed before doing the same.

"What now." I thought irritated