Chapter 5

Evelyn's pov

I was still staring at the city. I haven't slept at all. I didn't want to go to bed alone again; my clothes are soaked because of the rain, and Todd snapped at many group members. He even bit one of them. I wasn't moving, I wanted my Papa, and I wasn't leaving until he returned from his hunting trip. Maybe we can go to the city together and bring Uncle Merle back together. He needs to be found by his family, not by the people that left him there. The next thing I know, I heard Carl and Sophia scream from inside the woods. All the men, Lori, and Carol, ran towards them, leaving barely any camp people. I was contemplating on coming down because I can smell someone making breakfast, but I didn't want to see anyone I want to see; my Papa and Uncle Merle. A couple of minutes later, I heard my Papa screaming Uncle Merle and I's name making me quickly climb down the tree.

"Todd, Papa's back!" I said, making him come out of his den, and we ran towards him, "Papa! Papa!"

He raised his arms, giving me access to jump into his arms. We hugged each other tightly while Papa stood up and started walking again.

"Papa, it's Uncle Merle." I whimpered

He stopped walking and look down at me curiously.

"The police officer and the others left him," I said, with tears rolling down my face.

He set me down before looking me dead in the eye. At this point, we were in the middle of the camp because he would give the squirrels to Carol.

"He went into the city with the others, and he didn't come back," I said, making him look at everyone with an angry look.

He stood up and started pacing, making everyone stand up. Mr. Grimes and Shane walked over to Papa but stopped when they saw him pacing.

"Is he dead," Papa asked after he stopped pacing and looked at Shane.

"We're not sure," Shane said, making Papa mad.

"He either is or he ain't!" He snapped

"There ain't no easy way to say it, so I'm just gonna say it." Mr. Grimes said, walking forward

Papa gave him an angry look before walking towards him.

"Who are you." Papa snapped

"Rick Grimes," Rick said calmly

"Rick Grimes." Papa mocked, "You got something you wanna tell me!"

"Your brother was a danger to the group, so I handcuffed him to the roof." He explained

My eyes widened in shock; Papa started pacing back and forth with anger all over his face. I've never seen my Papa so mad, well, minus when Grandpa showed up and when Uncle Merle brought one of his hookups. But, never something like this.

"Let me get this straight." Papa said, "You handcuffed my brother to a roof, and you left him there!"

"Yeah," Rick said calmly

"He's dead." I thought

Papa, through his killings at the man before he started attacking him, it went on for a bit before Papa took out his knife.

"Watch the knife!" I heard someone yell

The next thing I know, I was grabbed, making me yelp. Papa froze and looked at me; that's when Shane and Rick took that advantage to put Papa in a chokehold and bring him to his knees.

"Todd, protect!" I shouted, making him growl

"Rick, watch out!" Glenn yelled

But Todd beat him to it. Todd was attached to Rick's wrist in a blink of an eye before he bit his ankle. Ricked yelped in pain before he shook Todd off; Todd went after Shane and bit into his arm, holding Papa.

"Gah!" Shane yelled, "Stupid fox!"

I saw Shane let go of Papa before he threw Todd away from him.

"Todd!" I yelled

I bit whoever grabbed me, making them let go. I then ran over to Todd before skidding to a stop landing on my knees. Todd stood up before growling at Shane and Rick. Papa walked over to us before standing in front of me, and he was agitated, I knew Papa was mad, and I knew that he wanted nothing more than to beat them.

"Evie, get to the tent," Papa said quietly, so only Todd and I can hear. 

I nodded my head before picking up Todd and running to the tent. I walked in before laying Todd down on our cot. I laid down next to him before I started petting him to fall asleep. I knew Shane hurt him because he was still small and that throw would have bruised something. After a bit, Papa came in, plopping himself down next to me. We smiled at one another before he laid down next to me, looking at Uncle Merle's side of the tent. I turned on to my back before giving Papa a soft smile.

"Don't worry, Papa," I said, making him look at me. "I'm sure that Uncle Merle is safe."

"Yeah, your right." He said 

"Nothing can kill Merle/ Uncle Merle but Merle/ Uncle Merle." We said together

We smiled at one another before Papa kissed the top of my head.

"I'll be gone for a little bit, okay, Evie." He said, making me nod. "I want you to stay in here until I get back, got it?" 

I nodded before I yawned and rubbed my eye.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" He said, making me shake my head

"I didn't want to stop looking at the city. I just stayed in my tree," I said, making Papa look at me sternly.

"It rained last night, Evie." He said

"Yeah, I was freezing," I said, making him glare at me. "What? I got the stubbornness from you."

He chuckled while shaking his head.

"Yeah, I know," he said before giving me a soft smile. "Get some sleep, okay?"

I nodded my head before I curled up next to Todd. Papa tucked me in while I yawned again, and my eyes felt really heavy.

"Goodnight, sweetheart." He whispered

"Night, Papa," I whispered back, as I felt him kiss my forehead "be safe."

I fell asleep with a smile on my face. I'm glad that I wasn't alone this time.