Chapter 11

Evelyn's pov

I was looking through cars because the RV broke down. Carl ran off, showing Shane something he found in a vehicle. Sophia was up ahead of me while Carol and Lori were looking in a car with many clothes that would fit them. I felt someone pull me to the ground, making me gasp in shock. Turning around, I saw Rick standing behind me.

"Get under the car and be quiet." He whispered

I nodded my head before crawling under a car, not knowing that Sophia was in one right next to mine. We watched as a herd of walkers walked by us; I held my breath, wondering where on earth my Papa or my Fox is during this. I felt something touch my leg, making me look down only to see Todd; his ears were down, and he was slowly making his way towards me. I breathed a sigh of relief. He put his head in my hand, making me softly pet him with my finger trying to calm both of us down. A while went by before Sophia and I saw any walker's feet pass by us. Sophia and I nodded at one another before we slowly started crawling out from the cars we were under, but I was stopped by Todd squeaking at me, making me look at him. The next thing I know, I heard Sophia start screaming, making my head snap in her direction only to see a walker face-to-face making me cry out. I started crawling away from it while I pushed Todd out from under the car. When I made it out, I started crawling backward, trying to find someone or something to help me.

"Evelyn!" I heard someone call out before an arrow was lodged into the walker's brain.

I was shaking and gasping for air; I was snapped back into reality when Todd jumped on top of me, making me hug him while I kept my eye on the walker. I heard footsteps coming after me before someone hugged me making me tense up before slowly hugging back. I knew by the hair color and the crossbow on his back that it was Papa; he pulled back a little to where we were face-to-face, making me finally take my eyes off the walker.

"Are you alright?" He asked

"No." I whimpered, "Papa, Sophia was chased by walkers as well." 

I informed, making him nod his head.

"I know. Rick went after her." He explained, making me nod my head

We released one another before he helped me stand up before we made our way to the rest of the group. T-Dog was sitting on the steps being tended to by Dale while all the women were comforting Carol. I saw Carl sitting on one of the cars, making me run over to him while calling out his name, making his head snap in my direction; he smiled in relief before jumping off the trunk, letting me tackle him in a hug being careful of Todd. I felt his arms wrapped around my waist and just held one another, hoping that our friend will come back safe and alive.

*Mini Timeskip*

It was now dark Papa, Shane, and Rick went back out there to see if they can follow Sophia's tracks. Carol was upset that Rick didn't come back with her the first time. I hope they just come back with her the second time.

"Do you think she is still out there?" Carl questioned, making me look at him

"I think that she was scared and right now just letting her fear control her actions," I said, looking back at the woods making Carl look at me, "I think her adrenaline will wear off, and she will find a safe place to stay until we find her."

"I do believe that Sophia will find a good hiding spot, and maybe, just maybe, she will find us before we find her." I thought

I was snapped out of my thoughts, seeing Shane walk out of the woods, making all of us perk up.

"Did you find her?" Carol asked frantically, "Did you find my baby?"

Shane raised his hands, making everyone quiet down a little.

"Rick and Daryl are still looking for her." He informed everyone, "They found a trail, and it is going strong, but I want everyone to remember that it is getting dark, and we might not find her tonight."

Everyone remained tensed after that. It was almost dark when Papa and Rick came back, making everyone once again perk up. 

"Did you find her?" Carol hopefully asked

"I'm sorry." Rick apologized, "It was too dark for us to continue following the tracks."

I looked at my Papa before seeing blood on his pants.

"Papa, are you hurt?" I questioned softly

Everyone turned to me before looking at where I was.

"Oh my god." Carol's voiced cracked

"It was just a walker," Papa explained.

Everyone looked confused, which made Papa explain more.

"We cut'em open to see what it last ate." He explained

Everyone looked squeamish but also looked hopeful.

"It wasn't anywhere near Sophia," Rick said softly.

Carol looked down at the ground before looking at Rick with a hateful look in her eyes.

"Why would you leave her all alone in the first place?" She questioned angrily

We all looked at her, baffled.

"I had to lead them away from her," Rick explained.

"She's only a child." She sobbed, "She can't make it out there all by herself."

Rick looked down at the ground. I was angry at Carol. Why blame someone who tried to save her child and was the only one who ran after her? She should be thanking him.

"That's not fair," I said

Everyone looked at me, confused.

"You can't blame, Rick." I said, making her look at me bewildered, "He's just one man who went to save a child that wasn't his. She was scared and wasn't thinking straight. All she was thinking was that she had to get somewhere safe and get to you."

She looked like she was going to break down and cry, right then and there. But, I can tell that she knew I was right. She just wanted to blame someone. Carl grabbed my hand, making me look at him. He nodded his head with a smile causing a smile to grace my face. I knew what I said was right because I am a Dixon, and I was raised to say what I know is right.