Chapter 6

Evelyn's pov

I was sitting in my cot staring at the place that my Papa was seated when I fell asleep; he wasn't at camp anymore when I woke up, and it just made it a lot harder for me to realize that it wasn't a dream. The group that my family trusted left my Uncle in the city to die, my Papa was out there looking with the said group, and I'm all alone with the said people. I haven't even left the tent although I was hungry and thirsty. Papa told me to stay in our tent, so that's what I'm going to do.

"Hey, Evie, " I heard someone say outside the tent, " you in there?"

I unzipped the flap a little bit to see Carl. I smiled at him but then frowned, remembering that his Dad handcuffed my Uncle to the roof.

"Hey, Carl." I greeted

"Look, um, I know that my Dad left your Uncle and also handcuffed him, " he said nervously, as he rubbed the back of his neck, " but, hopefully, that doesn't mean we can't still be friends, right?"

I gave him a guilty look. He's right. I may be mad at his father, but that doesn't mean I have to stop being friends with him. I bit my lip with concentration before nodding my head.

"Yeah, we're still friends, " I said, "I'm sorry, Carl."

We smiled at one another before I moved a little and let Carl crawl in; the whole day, we decided to play cards, mess with Todd, play twenty questions, and told each other what our life was like before the monsters started walking around. We found out that we have a lot in common, minus that he had a semi luxurious life while I lived an impoverished life. I can't complain, though. My life was perfect the way it was because I had my family.

"Carl! Evelyn!" We heard Lori call, making us pop our heads out of the tent

"We're in here, Mom!" Carl called back

She turned around to see where we were before walking over. I stuck my head back in before she bent down.

"Do you guys want some food?" She asked, "dinners ready."

Carl and I looked at one another before looking at the sky to see that it was night time.

"I don't know. I was told to stay in my tent," I said, as I nervously bit my lip. "I don't want Papa getting mad at me."

"Hey, I'm sure he would be fine with it if your eating," Carl said as he laid his hand on my shoulder, "besides, you haven't eaten since yesterday morning."

I went to protest, but my stomach growled, making all of us laugh. Carl and I got out before we walked over to the others. Todd was walking next to me as I nervously bit my lip, hoping that Papa won't get angry with me. We sat down on some logs and ate some fish that Andria and Amy caught for us. It was actually nice. I was done with my food before placing it down on the ground. Todd crawled onto my lap, letting me pet him without bending down.

"Where are you going?" I head Andria ask

I looked to see that she talked to Amy, who looked irritated by her sister's attention.

"I have to pee, " she said, annoyed," jeez, can't even go pee without border patrol."

Everyone chuckled at that before we all went back to what we were doing. Carl and I talked about a game we were thinking of playing until we heard screaming. We all turned around to see that one of the monsters was biting Amy's arm. Everyone started screaming and running while some of them were fighting the dead. I immediately picked up Todd and started backing away in fear. Lori grabbed both Carl and me while hiding behind Shane as we walked to the RV. Suddenly, I was grabbed from behind only to see one of the monsters was about to bite me; I screamed and tried to keep it from biting me. I accidentally dropped Todd and didn't even realize that Carl grabbed me before he got eaten. Just when it was about to bite me, an arrow went through its eye. It dropped to the ground before I was grabbed by the back of my shirt, only to see Shane. He shoved me towards the RV, and before I fell, my hand was grabbed by Lori before she pushed me behind her. Carl hugged me with one arm while I covered my ears, trying to block out the screams and gunfire. Todd was licking my cheek as tears rolled down my face. I uncovered my ears when everything went silent. I looked around me to see that all the monsters were dead, and so were some of our people.

"Carl!" Rick called out, panicked, "Lori!"

"Evelyn!" I heard my Papa call making my eyes widen

Carl released Todd and me before we all went to our loved one.

"Papa!" I called before jumping into his arms

He hugged me tightly before kissing my cheek, his breathing was uneven, and at that moment, I forgot about Uncle Merle. All I cared about was that my Papa was here, and he saved me from the monster. I leaned back a bit, making Papa look at me.

"Where is Uncle Merle?" I asked with my voice trembling

"I'm sorry, baby girl, " he said, making my eyes start to water, " Uncle Merle wasn't in the city."

Before I could say anything, Andrea started screaming and crying, making everyone look at her to see that Amy was gone. Everyone started crying for their loved ones and their friends who were no longer part of the living. I started crying because Amy is dead and that the people who left my family to die got to come back, but my Uncle didn't.