Chapter 8

"Evelyn's pov

I was woken up by someone lightly shaking my shoulder; I slowly open my eyes and see that it was Papa. I sat up and rubbed my eye while looking around; I noticed that we just barely left the city, making me look at Papa confused. 

"Why'd we stop?" I asked

"Jim's staying here," Papa informed me, "He's not doing so well."

I looked to where everyone surrounded a tree with sad looks on their faces; I sighed before getting out of the truck. I walked towards where everyone was at to see that they were now leaving; I saw Andrea glaring at me as she stood by the RV. I just ignored her and walked up to Jim; I kneeled and gave him a sad look.

"I'm sorry, Jim." I apologized

He smiled at me, but his eyes held guilt.

"Don't be sorry, Evie." He said, "You were right to say those things, and the more you speak up, the more people will start realizing that you are one smart kid."

I smiled at him

"Your family was built for this world, sweetheart." He informed, making me look at him, confused, "Don't lose hope on your Uncle or this group."

I nodded before giving him a big hug; I released him before walking back over to Papa. He nodded at Jim before we walked over to the truck and got in. Everyone drove off, leaving the poor soul behind to suffer by himself.

*Time Skip*

We finally arrived at the CDC, and it was starting to get dark; I looked around nervously while getting out of the truck. I turned towards the passenger side door before picking up Todd; he licked my cheek as I closed the door. Papa kept me in front of him while he was keeping his crossbow up just in case; all you smelt was death, and if you weren't careful, a fly would either fly in your mouth or your nose. We arrived at the door that looked to be locked up tight, Rick tried talking to the camera, but that didn't work.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Carol questioned

"There has to be someone on the other side," Rick mumbled to himself.

 "Maybe we should go back," Lori said, "it's not safe to be this close to the city, especially at night."

I heard growling behind me, making me turn around to see that the dead walkers are now waking up.

"P-Papa," I called, making him look down at me, "they're waking up."

He turned around to see what I was looking at and immediately tensed up.

"Walkers!" He called out, making everyone start to panic

Everyone started yelling and shouting; some even started crying, Papa picked me up, and everyone started making their way to the vehicles when the doors opened suddenly, revealing a bright light. We stared for a couple of seconds before everyone immediately got inside; Papa set me down but kept me close to him while I was petting Todd trying to stay calm.

"Hello?" Rick called out

"Any of you infected!" Someone called out

We turned our heads to see a dirty blonde man that was pointing a shotgun at us.

"One of us was." Rick informed, "But, he's not around anymore."

"You all submit to a blood test." He demanded

"We can work with that," Rick said with a nod.

He lowered the gun before nodding his head to the door.

"Go get the things you need." He said, "Once those doors close, they won't open."

Some people left to get the stuff while Rick walked over to the man.

"Rick Grimes." Rick introduced himself

"Doctor Jenner." The man introduced

They shook hands before Rick went to help everyone else, leaving Carol, Sophia, Lori, Carl, Jaquie, and me. Carl walked over to me, and we smiled at one another.

"Do you think that we will stay here?" I asked, looking at Carl

He had a thoughtful look on his face before shrugging his shoulders.

"I hope so; I think this place will be great for us." He said, making me nod my head

Everyone came back inside, making Doctor Jenner close the doors; Papa came and grabbed my hand before we all followed the Doctor to an elevator. It was pretty cramped in here, to be honest. I was standing next to Papa but ended up standing next to Carl instead. I heard the elevator ding, and everyone started getting out of the elevator, and following Doctor Jenner to the room where we will get shots, I shivered at the thoughts of getting a needle in my arm. Jenner stood in front of two doors; he opened them to show a massive room with many doctor tools. We all sat in the room and went one by one to get our blood taken; I was shaking in the corner while I was sitting down petting Todd. He looked at me, concern making me smile at him; I heard someone call my name, making my head snap up. I saw that everyone was looking at me, making me gulp. I stood up before slowly walking towards Jenner and his death needle. I sat down and stared down at the floor, wishing and praying that he will say, "You don't have to do this" or "It's alright, you can go to your Father." but he didn't. I felt someone grab my hand, making me look to see who it was, and to my surprise, it was Carl.

"You got this." He said

We smiled at each other before I closed my eyes, waiting for the needle to prick my skin. I felt a pinch, making me squeeze Carl's hand. He squeezed back while my breathing picked up. I'm not too fond of needles; they hurt and always freak me out. I'm glad that Carl is here with me.

Daryl's pov

I watched the interaction between Carl and Evelyn only to feel a ghost of a smile grace my lips. I'm glad that she has him in her life, even if he's a Grimes. I looked back at his parents to see them smiling at them as well. Hell, practically everyone was. I sighed through my nose when I saw Todd rub against his legs. I don't know how the hell that damn Fox has survived this long; then again, he has Evelyn looking after him. Maybe, this group is good for her. Maybe.