Chapter 12

Evelyn's pov

We were all getting ready to look for Sophia. Rick said that we may or may not go into separate groups; hopefully, it does not have to come to that. I was waiting with Carl for everyone to get geared up, but it started to get delayed because Andrea was moaning about someone taking her gun. Carl and I decided to play thumb war until everyone finish.

Walking through the forest, we bumped into a tent putting everyone on edge and hopeful. Rick and Papa went first to make sure that nothing would jump out at us; they halted before looking at Carol.

"Carol, come here," Rick whispered as he held out his hand for her. She hesitantly grabbed his hand, letting Rick guide her in between the two, "your voice has to be the first thing she hears if we want her to come out."

"Sophia! Sophia, baby, it's Mommy!" Carol calls, "You can come out, baby; we're here! It's Mommy."

We waited for a bit before Papa entered the tent.

"Daryl?" Carol called after a couple of minutes

"She's not in there," Papa informed, exiting out of the tent.

Our hope started to simmer hearing this. I hope that what happens next will not demolish it.

"Who's in there?" Rick questioned

"Some guy did what Jenner kept rambling about, opted out," Papa explained further.

Everyone looked at one another in shock and sadness of being reminded of said doctor who convinced one of our own to die. The next thing I know, bells started ringing, making everyone jump and start looking around, trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from.

"It's this way. Follow me!" Rick demanded as he took off in the said direction

We all ran after him, trying to keep up and not lose one another. We ran to a church, but the bells have stopped ringing. We halted by the doors, but Papa, Rick, and Shane were the only ones who went in. We sat waiting anxiously, hoping that Sophia was inside hiding and waiting for us to bring her back to her home, her family.

"I think I am going to sit over by the trees and think." I explained to Carl, making him nod his head, "Come on, Todd." 

I walked away from everyone and walked over to a nearby tree with Todd at my heels. I sat down and looked up at the sky only to see the birds flying by; I sighed while I closed my eyes in sadness. I missed Sophia, and I am worried about her, Carol, and this whole group. I wonder if everyone will change now that she has gone missing.

_____________________________________________

We have left the church, and all had to split up to cover more grounds. Carl and I went with his Dad and Shane. Carl and I were playing eye spy quietly until we spotted a dear making us both gasp in shock. I grabbed Carl's hand, and we both slowly walked towards the dear. Before touching it, I looked behind me at Carl to see if he wanted to go first, making him nod. We switched spots, I was standing behind him, and he was standing in front of me. Right, when he went to touch the dear, I heard a gunshot before everything went black.

*Mini TimeSkip*

Rick's pov

I was carrying Carl in my arms while Evelyn was attached to my back, she was awake but wasn't, and I was running as fast as I could to the doctor. The idiot who shot my son and Daryl's daughter told me to ask for Hershel; Evelyn's fox Todd was running ahead of me, yipping its little head off trying to get someone's attention. I saw a house, and a girl looked directly at me before calling someone from the said home, making everyone come running out.

"Are you Hershel?!" I asked eagerly 

"Were they bit?" He questioned

"Shot." I informed, "By your man."

"Otis?" The woman next to him questioned

"Please, please help them," I begged, feeling Evelyn starting to slip off my shoulders.

"Is-is she awake?!" The young woman next to me asked while rushing over to my shoulders

"Barely, she's hanging on." I cried

She carried Evelyn's bridal style as Todd followed the young woman. Hershel was barking out orders left and right, as I set my boy down on a bed while the young woman set Daryl's girl down next to him.

"Papa." Evelyn mumbled, "Papa."

"Are-are they going to be okay?" I questioned scared

"What is your name, sir?" Hershel questioned

"Rick, I-I'm-I'm Rick." I stuttered

"Well, Rick, these kids are going to need blood. Do you by any chance know their blood type?" He questioned

"O negative, same as mine." I replied, "Evelyn, I don't know she isn't my child."

"O.... O negative." Evelyn mumbled

I sighed in relief, "thankfully, she's the same as Carl and I." I thought 

"Sweetheart, you can stop fighting. You hear?" Hershel said softly, making me look at him bewildered, "Your safe now; get some sleep."

Evelyn nodded before letting herself pass out completely. I shook my head, rubbing my hands over my face. I walked out of the room, walking outside to get some air. Shane showed up with that man Otis, both looking at me in hope.

"They're-they're okay, I think." I stuttered

Otis ran inside while Shane looked at me, worried; he took his rag out of his back pocket and started wiping blood off my face, arms, and hands.

"Daryl is going to kill me." I mumbled, "He's going to kill me."

"Daryl will understand, man; he's-he's just has to, alright?" Shane stuttered 

I just shook my hands and sat down, holding my head in my hands. We lost one little girl and ended up with two-shot children, and one of them ain't even mine. This day is just getting more and more horrible by the minute.

 Daryl's pov

We were walking through the woods, making our journey back to the highway. I was unsettled about the fact that my daughter was not with me. But, I was slowly accepting it until I heard that one fatal gunshot that made me and everyone else turns their heads in the direction of it.

"Was that Rick and them? Is someone hunting? Was that Sophia?" I thought, "Where is my daughter."

_____________________________________________

Sorry for taking too long to update everyone! As you all know, 2020 was hell, and currently, 2021 is not going so well either. But! I will try and update more chapters for more of my books, so if you read more than one of them, stay tuned. Stay safe, everyone!

- Sincerely, Katd2002