Chapter 0

Finn walked across the road towards the building. Marshal still hadn’t invited him to join the investigation yet, and he wasn’t sure why. It was such an intriguing case, and they must need help by now. Still, he wasn’t going to stay out of this one. Not for anything. Finn approached the burnt remains of the apartment complex that had once stood proudly in the middle of the street. Cops littered the scene, and no wonder. This had been the third fire in an apartment complex in just one month.

    Of course, this wasn’t Finn’s usual case. It was still pretty bland, even with a supposed ghost woman. If it hadn’t been for so many reports of the same woman at each fire, he wouldn’t even care if the arson was ever caught. This woman, however. This woman was a different matter.

    Finn walked up to the crime tape, and waved down a heavyset man, Greg Marshal. “My God, Finn. You aren’t part of the department, you don’t need to come to every crime scene.”

    “I know.”

    “Then why are you here?”

    “Because I’m interested.” Finn lifted the crime scene tape and walked under it. “Plus, it saves you the embarrassment of calling me later when you can’t do it without me. Me being here is really an act of kindness.”

    Marshal stuck out his hand and stopped Finn. “Look, I know you haven’t had a case in a while-”

    “This has nothing to do with that.”

“I know you haven’t had a case in a while, and I’m kind of inclined to let you help out, but I can’t let you in. This is a federal case now. Haven’t you been paying attention to the news?”

    “Of course I have, I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t. What does that have to do with it being a federal case?”

    “This is the first case in a separate state.”

    “So you’re kicking me off the case before I can even look at the crime scene?” Finn but his hands on his hips trying to look disappointed.

    “What?” Marshal huffed. “I didn’t even call you over.”

    “And to think I was trying to be considerate to you, Greg. I was trying to save your image and volunteer so you-”

    “Leave, Finn!” Marshal held up the crime scene tape.

    “No.” Finn turned away from the tape and walked towards a group of cops and people wearing F.B.I. jackets. Marshal sighed, and jogged up to him, grabbing Finn by the collar of his jacket. Finn slipped off his jacket in one fluid movement, and kept walking. Marshal threw the jacket on the ground, and angrily walked towards him.

    Finn slipped into the group of people. And started listening in on their conversation. Suddenly one of the F.B.I. agents looked at him. “Who are you?”

    “I’m Stephen Steele.”

    “And he’s leaving.” Marshal came up behind him, breathing heavily.

    “The Stephen Steele?” The agent asked, looking disappointed.

    Finn smiled slightly, and nodded. “Yes, that would be me.”

    “And he’s also leaving, because this isn’t his case.” Marshal grabbed his arm. Finn rolled his eyes.

“Oh please, I can stay if I want.”

“You can’t, stay. It’s a federal investigation. Although with your track record, I’m not surprised you tried. And Marshal, try and keep a tighter rein on the crime scene.” The agent said, instantly returning to his previous discussion.

“See what you did Finn? I got in trouble because of you.” Marshal grumbled as he led Finn away.

“Sorry.” Finn paused. “Is that what I should say at a time like this?”

“Yes, that’s an appropriate response. Only if it’s sincere, though.” Marshal sighed and lifted the crime scene tape.

“What about my jacket?”

“I’ll give it to you later. It’s not like it’s that cold out here.” Marshal turned away from Finn and walked towards the agent.

Finn strained his ears trying to listen for anything. He couldn’t hear anything. He sighed, and turned away. This didn’t mean he was giving up on the case, not by a long shot. He didn’t have to be part of the police investigation to learn anything, anyways. He’d been a PI for quite a while, and he’d solved plenty of cases for his clients without Marshal’s help. He’d just have to do the same here.

“Hey blondy!” Finn stopped, and sighed angrily.

“Yes?” He asked in annoyance, turning towards the voice.

“Are you a detective?” A man with brown hair and rich caramel skin walked up to Finn. He had a Hispanic accent, and he radiated an intense energy.

“Yes.”

“Can you help me?”

“I’m kind of busy with a case.”

“What, the one you just got kicked out of?” The man laughed as Finn sighed. “That’s what I want help with. That case, I mean.” Finn’s face brightened up.

“How can I help you?”