10: Sweet and Sour Sauce

“Can we please stop for a second to come up with a plan?” Jaden wheezed.

    “No, we have to keep moving!” Finn started jogging away. Jack looked at Jaden who seemed as though he would fall over and never move again.

    “Wait!” Jack yelled to Finn. Finn stopped and turned back, as Jack pushed Jaden away from the door and shoved the laptop into his hands. “I have a plan, but I need help!” Jack ran over to the dumpster by the door, and began pushing it.

    “You idiot! You’re risking our lives,” Finn ran to Jack and began pushing the dumpster with him, “all the same it’s a good idea if we can pull it off.” He grunted, and leaned his full weight into it. The dumpster slowly rolled towards the door, inching past the frame and...THUD. Jack jumped back, expecting to be shot, but nothing happened. The dumpster had been pushed past the door handle. It was blocked.

    “Aye, good thinking hermano.” The door thudded against the dumpster again. Finn wiped the sweat off his face.

    “Time to go. Jaden go get the car.” Finn pulled out his keys and tossed them to Jaden. Jaden nodded and took off running, with Jack behind him. Finn checked the dumpster one last time, and then ran back towards the restaurant. Another gunshot fired. Jack paused, and looked back.

    “Where’s Finn?” Jack looked around frantically. Jaden turned and looked.

    “¡Ay dios mio! What is wrong with that man?” At that moment, Finn launched himself through a window of the restaurant, with a plastic bag, and ran straight towards Jaden. “Seriously?” Jaden yelled.

    “Get the car!” 

    Jaden stared blankly for a second. Then the gunmen pushed through the door, and began shooting. Jaden turned and ran like a madman, with a new found energy. Jack paused briefly, bridging the gap between Jaden and Finn, then took off running towards Jaden. Jaden landed against the car, and ripped the door open, shoving the key into the ignition, and throwing the laptop into the back of the car. Jack, just a few seconds behind Jaden, slammed against the front door, and opened it, then jumped in the back of the car. Jaden started the car, and started lifting the roof. Finn glanced over his shoulder, clutching the bag to his chest protectively, and as he reached a clump of trash cans, he knocked them over and blocked the path with them. Jaden revved the engine a bit, trying to make Finn run faster. The roof closed, and Finn jumped in the car. He slammed the door. Jaden took off down the road.

    “The owner called the cops,” Finn gasped, and loosened his grip on the bag.

    “What’s wrong with you? Are you trying to get yourself-” Jaden glanced at Finn. “¡Ay dios! What’s on your shirt?”

    Finn looked down at his shirt. It was covered in something red and sticky. Finn stuck his finger in it, and licked it. “It’s sweet ‘n sour sauce. They shot the food when I grabbed it.” Finn gasped, and violently opened the bag, and started sorting through the food. “Luckily it seems that’s the only thing they hit.” Finn sighed and pulled out his phone. Jack looked over Finn’s shoulder at his phone, on which he had pulled up a map. “I’m your GPS Jaden.. Turn left here.” Jaden slammed on his breaks and turned left. Finn pulled out a takeout container, and a package of chopsticks, and shoved it over his shoulder into Jack’s face. Jack grabbed the food and sat back. “We’re going to avoid main roads and highways when possible. It’s going to take a bit longer than usual, but it won’t be terrible.” Finn pulled out another container and more chopsticks. “Turn right up ahead there.” Finn pointed with his chopsticks, and then began eating. Finally, he could eat his food.