5: My Little Hermano

Jack was in a bad neighborhood, he could just tell from looking around. He passed by a strip of old rundown buildings, they were probably intended to be shops at one point. Now, though, they were all abandoned and boarded up except for one with a dim “We’re Open” sign. As Jack passed by the store, a van rushed by. He only caught a glimpse of the van, but it was enough for him to identify the white van. It had F.B.I. labeling it in small but bold letters, and as he noticed its words he stopped to watch the rare sight. A tall blonde man appeared from nowhere, his nose in his phone. He seemed to be rushing to nowhere when he ran into Jack.

    “Move!” The man kept typing on his phone.

    “Sorry, “Jack responded barely above a whisper. The man was gone though, following the path of the van.

    Jack watched the man and his billowing coat for a few seconds longer, then turned away. He walked down the street, turning left and right as he felt led, hoping he would eventually get somewhere. As he walked, he saw the neighborhoods evolve from poor and dying to beautiful with perfect green yards and perfect little fences. He paid no attention to the time, letting the sun slowly climb the sky as he wandered through the town knowing he was going somewhere. The only question was, where was he going?

    As the sun grew increasingly more blinding in Jack’s peripheral vision, his stomach began its protest. Jack stopped, looking at the little shop he happened to stop in front of. He must be getting closer to downtown. The door of the shop opened, and a person walked out, the smell wafting out and around Jack. It was a sweet, warm smell. Jack looked at the door. It was a bakery. He stomach cried out desperately for the sweetness inside. Jack looked through the window at all the cookies and cakes on display. He’d used all his money on the taxi driver, though. His stomach growled again, and Jack sat down at a little table outside, setting his backpack down beside him. Then he remembered, and opened his backpack digging with a purpose until finally, he found the blessed object.

    He pulled out the breakfast burrito, smiling at the little smiling face, before ripping it open and eating it. Egg crumbs fell as he ate the food, trying to silence his stomach. It worked. Once he had finished his feast, he crumpled up the tin foil, and put it back in his bag. He had decided to study the data he had gathered so far, and pulled out all his papers, setting on the table. He looked down at them, as a paper was set on top of the small stack. Jack looked up startled to see a pair of grey eyes peering at him from behind a head of silvery blonde hair. The woman smiled at him silently, and sat across from him. She looked at the paper, urging him to read it. So he did.  He unfolded the paper and read it.

    “I’ve been sent here by an ally as an ally. Don’t be afraid of me, I’m here to help you until I can get you to your allies here in the physical realm. I’m sorry I can’t speak with you, Jack. It’s impossible for me. Beings from different realms can’t communicate in that way, and I’m a spirit now. But, I will help you, I promise.” The woman’s handwriting flowed daintily across the paper, and as Jack finished he looked up the woman with wide eyes. She smiled once again, even wider though, as if amused, and then stood up. She looked at him, and then began walking. Jack jumped up, and grabbed all his papers and his bag, and rushed after her. He followed her down the street past some houses and around a corner. As he rounded the corner though, she disappeared from view. Jack looked around confused, and then made eye contact with a man leaning against the side of a building by a door. It was HIM.

    “Hey! Hermano!” The man walked away from the door, his hair bouncing a bit, and grabbed Jack by the arm, leading him back around the corner. “What are you doing here, eh?” He looks down at Jack and his dirty clothes and his messy hair. He recognized that look. “Shouldn’t you be home doing homework instead of wandering around the streets?”

    “Just enjoying my weekend, don’t worry about me.”

    “Heh, yeah. You’re a bad liar, you know that hermano?” He laughed a bit, and stopped when he heard a commotion around the corner. The sound of a door slamming open, and yelling was clearly heard. The man noticeably changed demeanor, and began looking increasingly anxious. “Guess that’s my signal, no?” He looked over his shoulder, then pulled his wallet out of his pocket. “Look, take this money. I want you to have a few bucks for a weekend treat. Lunch and dinner. On me, ¿comprendes?” He handed him a twenty dollar bill. Jack reluctantly took the money from the man. “See you later, maybe? ¿Sí?” Jack nodded, and the man ran back around the corner. Jack waited for a second, then started walking towards the corner. He couldn’t just let this man walk away. A car started , and screeched away. Jack stopped. He could hear someone talking.

    “Yeah boss. The detective was here. I think he’s caught onto the trail. We should be able to let him do his job now. Yes boss. Thank you boss. I’ll be sure to do that. Bye.”

    Jack’s heart froze as he heard footsteps coming towards the corner. There was no way he was supposed to hear that. Jack ran across the street and walked quickly behind a couple with a dog. He wasn’t about to be caught. After a few minutes, Jack turned off onto a side road, and headed towards the sound of traffic. He emerged from the trees onto paved sidewalks and the sight of a main street with stores and restaurants. The cars filled the streets, and people bustled up and down the walkways. He’d found it. Here, finally, he was downtown.