12: A Hero

Jaden pulled the car into a parking spot in front of the apartment buildings, and the three filed out of the car. Finn looked at the time on his phone, and glanced around the area, scanning the building surrounding the parking lot. "We have to move fast if we want to catch them in the act, or at least get to them before they can get away."

"You're making it sound like we're just going to let them burn the building without warning anyone." Jack looked at Finn.

"Well we won't have to tell them if your little ghost friend does the same thing they do at every fire now will we? Besides, if tell anyone and they start evacuating before the fire, the arson will run off before we even know who they are. Trust me, I'm always right."

"No you're not." Jaden mumbled.

"Fine! You want to warn them, go for it! Do it your own way! When you see it fail don't cry to me. I'm going to go check for side entrances to the main building." Finn started walking away, but stopped. "Make sure you can get out if a fire starts. Greg will blame me if you die." And with that he turned away and started his journey towards the side of the building. Jack sighed and turned to Jaden.

"I guess we should go in and give them a warning then shouldn't we?"

Jaden nodded, and the two walked into the main building. Jaden walked up to the from desk and got the attention of the person sitting there. Jack looked around the room briefly, and locked eyes with a silver haired woman. They both stared at each other for a brief second, the woman’s eyes growing larger as she looked on. Then Jack broke away, and grabbed Jaden’s arm.

“No time, we have to get out now!” Jack puller him out of the building, and kept pulling into the parking lot, speeding up with every step.

“What’s wrong hermano?”

“The-” The building began smoking, and flames started leaking out the sides. Jack stared at the flames blankly. Was there something missing?

“Finn!” Jack tore away and around the side of the building. The fire wasn’t bad yet, if he was fast enough…

“Hermano! He can handle himself! Come back!” Jaden started back towards the building. The windows shattered as the fire rushed out in a sudden and violent explosion. Jaden dropped to the ground, and covered his head on instinct. Then, sitting up, realized he’d just let a kid run into a fire. He was a coward.

Jack saw Finn at the side entrance door, reaching for his gun, and tackled him away from the building.

“What are you doing idiot! Get off me!” The fire burst out from a window above the door, coating Jack with glass and effectively spreading the fire. Finn sighed, and brushed the glass off of Jack, then pushed him off. “Get up hero.” Finn hit his arm, and felt his hand sink into a piece of glass. He whispered a curse, and yanked the glass out of his hand. Jack was unconscious, or at least had briefly passed out. And the fire was raining sparks down on the grass around the door. The whole place would be ablaze with no escape if he didn’t start moving. But Jack, he was still out cold. Finn would have to carry him, and that would slow him down. If he took him he might not get out fast enough. “Sorry, kid. I guess this is what heroes get in the end, yeah?” Finn turned away and sighed. 

No. He couldn’t. Not after what happened with his brother. He would just have to work fast. Finn turned back and bent down to lift Jack, when he opened his eyes. Finn stumbled back in surprise, and walked into a blaze. His pant leg lit on fire, and he scrambled to pat it out. Jack jumped up.

“Are you ok?”

“Are you ok?” Finn asked angrily. “You just tackled me out of the way of a fire! No one asked you to be a hero kid.”

“I wasn’t trying to-”

“Yes whatever! Get moving or else your valiant effort will be for nothing.” Finn complained and turned, falling over a large rock.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Jack stared down at Finn.

“Shut up, I'm the professional here.” Finn struggled back onto his feet, and started limping his way through the fire. Jack snuck up beside him, and put his arm around him for support. “I can walk just fine without you.”

“I know. But sometimes it’s nice to have help.”

Jaden sat in his car head on the steering wheel. What if Jack had gotten hurt? What if he was dead? What if they were both dead? What would he do then? He looked down at the phone in his lap. At least he’d gotten a picture of the license plate. He’d seen someone come out on the other side of the building and run directly to a car. He may not know who the arson was for sure, but he at least could say with certainty whoever got in that car was the arson. So he took a picture.

He looked up at the fire. It would be maybe a minute before the fire department showed up. He would have to be gone before then, though. He’d been at the last one to meet Finn, he didn’t want to get tied into something that he didn’t even start. Why was everything going wrong?

There, coming through the flames, was Finn being supported by Jack. They’d made it. Jaden threw the car door open and jumped out to make sure Jack was ok. When he reached them, he gave Jack a look over to make sure that he didn’t have any cuts or bruises.

“I’m fine too, if you were wondering, even though my pants leg is burned.” Finn marched towards the car.

“Oh, yes. Sorry, sorry.” Jaden laughed, rubbing the back of his neck. “Anyways, I’m glad you’re both fine, but I did see a suspicious car take off almost immediately after the fire started. And it looked like the car from the restaurant.”Jaden pulled out his phone. Finn turned back towards him.

“Did you-”

“Yes. Here.” Jaden handed his phone to Finn. “I took a picture of the license before they got away. It may be the car from earlier.” Jack scooted around to look at the picture too. He recognized the plate and snatched the phone from Finn.

“Hey!” Finn yelled. Jack scrolled over a picture.

“Look!” Jack flashed the phone back at Finn. “It’s just like I thought. I took that at the restaurant, it’s the same car!” Jack excitedly scrolled back and forth between the two pictures for emphasis.

“Yes, ok I get it.” Finn grabbed the phone again. “Good job, kid, I’m proud. I may be able to make use of you yet.” Finn tossed the phone back to Jaden, who barely caught it, and strolled to the car. “We really should be going before the cops show up, though. I don’t want Greg mad at me before I can prove I’m better.”