Chapter Five:

Part One: Vegas

Chapter Five:

This is my first wedding. I've never been to a single wedding before this one. I have concluded, that I do not like weddings. We sit and Mel talks. We stand, and she talks. Ted does too, but not nearly as much. If this is the rehearsal then I don't think I want to be a part of the ceremony.

Once again, I find myself looking for an exit. Sesshoumaru sits quietly next to me, obviously not listening, and I envy him. I find myself sneaking glimpses of him, trying to look at him, without looking at him. He's just so captivating.

We sit at a table with a few other close friends of the bride and groom. Our places are marked with name cards and I can't help but giggle at Sesshoumaru's. Written quickly across of the back of a napkin it reads, 'Sessh-Ichiro'.

Well at least Mel was listening to me every time I almost accidentally called him by his actual name, and not his 'stage' name. Unless of course she thinks it's some sort of odd Japanese honorific.

When I first moved to America that was one thing that was hard to break, the honorifics, and I remember Mel asking me so many questions about each and every single one of them. What they all meant and how they were supposed to be used, she was obsessed for all of two weeks.

The rehearsal ends and Mel dismisses us. I'm roused from my brief reverie as she calls to Sesshoumaru and me.

She catches up, Ted in tow, grabbing hold of my hand.

"Would you like to come out with Ted and me? We got put on a guest list for an exclusive club! We can probably get you in as well!" I look to Sesshoumaru and plead with my eyes, please make up a good excuse for us please.

"Actually, we're going to go around and see some of the sights." He says this calmly, entwining his fingers in mine until they're laced together. She does nothing but shrug, pulling Ted away quickly.

xxx

I change into something more comfortable and he leaves his suit jacket on my bed. My heart is pounding so hard in my chest I feel like it's going to crack my ribs. This small amount of time alone excites me and I couldn't say why.

"What should we do first?" He shrugs.

"Well considering that this was your idea, shouldn't you decide where we go?" I ask him, sidling up next to him with authority.

"Is it not courteous to let the guest decide?" A sly smirk plays across his features and my heart melts. That expressionless look from before is such a rare occurrence now, his features are suddenly always so expressive. I feel as if I am the only one who can read him though, for me and me alone he is an open book, while to the rest of the world he is cold and unfeeling.

"Why don't we go gambling? That's something people do in Vegas it seems, gamble and go to strip clubs." I root through my suitcase looking for the purse I brought out the night I rekindled an old alliance with the man I'm with now.

"And since we've already been to the strip club this is the last thing waiting to be checked off our list." I find my purse and pull out a wad of cash, dividing it into two neat and equal piles.

"Let's go play some black jack courtesy of Melanie and Theodore's wedding fund." I hand him his pile. He refuses to take it and I am forced to shove it in his pocket.

"You've paid for enough of my crap while I've been here, it's the least I can do, even if it isn't really my own money. It's the thought that counts." I flash him a grin before pulling him out into the hallway.