Chapter Twenty:

Part Five: Rome

Chapter Twenty:

He's right we don't lie in bed all day.

Instead, we sleep in. We wake up just before lunch and we go out for breakfast. We stroll around the city in our warm coats, hands intertwined.

We window shop, we grocery shop. We do nothing but shop. For furniture, for exotic food, for clothes, like we don't have enough.

We try things on, we take things off. We add layers, subtract layers. We smile, laugh, I try to keep warm.

He buys me socks so my cold feet won't migrate to his side of the bed.

I buy him a canister of Italian coffee for us to share in the mornings.

We eat dinner at a little bistro down stairs from the apartment.

It's cold outside and hot in here. The lights are dimmed so that you need to squint to see, but it only adds to the feeling of winter sneaking up on us.

"When was the last time you were here?" I ask after he finishes ordering in full Italian. "This is my first time." His eyes shine in the candle light. The warm amber honey gold coming out in the warmth.

"How can you speak so fluently then?" I reach across the table to take hold of his hand without even realizing.

"I learned sometime during my travels." It's almost as if I can see the memories replay in his eyes.

He's quiet again. We sit in silence for the rest of our evening.

xxx

The week drips by.

When Saturday arrives it's the biggest gasp for breath. It's almost as if the whole city holds its breath from Monday to Friday, then lets it out on Saturday morning.

I creep into bed late on Friday night. Sesshoumaru's still awake when I slip under the covers and steal all his warmth.

"You're freezing."

"I know" His arms circle me in the darkness. We're quiet for a long time. Neither of us are asleep.

"Did you make friends? Or were you alone the whole time?" It's like my mouth had a detached moment from my brain. Spewing, oozing things that I know need to be said, only I just don't want to say them.

"Yes, but I was alone for most of the time." I tuck myself beneath his chin. "Tell me about them." His chest rises and falls in a deep breath. He pets my head quietly, thinking.

"In Russia there was Vladmir, Alexei, and Maksmir, three demons much like myself. We got along well, I lived with them for many years. Other then them, there was one other, her name was Charlotte." I can feel his chest tighten, as if remembering her was painful. As if the sound of her name on the tip of his tongue was enough to cause a painful memory the stir.

"Charlotte?"

"She was the oldest daughter of the towns butcher. We found comfort in one another. She died very young" His voice, quiet and stern, resonates in his chest. I snake my hands around his bare back letting them crawl towards the base of his neck.

"Were they the only people you met?" I feel him nod.

"You don't make friends very easily do you?" He snorts.

"I'll teach you don't worry."

xxx

He's making waffles when I wake. The smell floats in through the purposely left open door. The sun creeps in slowly. It's just touching the end of the bed.

"Mmmm... good morning" I hum in approval. He slides the newspaper across the floor. It hits my foot and he wants me to read it but I'd rather finish my waffle first.

"The exhibit is featured." I smile a wide smile, skimming the article.

"Wow! I got an amazing review!" He kisses my forehead, slipping another waffle onto my plate.

"We should celebrate" He suggests.

"Yes! Tonight we will"

"I have a surprise for you." The corner of his mouth twitches into a devilish smirk.

"Are you going to tell me what it is?"

"Nope."

xxx

He surprises me with champagne and a beautiful dessert.

"I think we should throw another dinner party." We lie in bed with the bottle between us.

"I mean we should throw it to celebrate the museums good review." He plays with my hair as I lie propped on my elbow facing him.

"How about next week. I'll cook them a traditional Japanese meal."

"Sounds delicious." I curl up against his body to steal all of his warmth. It's so cold now. The window in the only other room in our apartment is open and neither of us wants to leave the warmth of the blankets to shut it.

I place my hand on his face. His hands dip lower on my back.

"We should invite Italo." I whisper not wanting to say the words too loud.

"And why should we do that?"

"Because I need to teach you to be nicer to people." He pulls me closer and touches his nose to mine.

"What if I don't want to be nice?" He gives a small mocking growl and I tap his nose gently, smiling.

"I will just have to punish you then!"

xxx

End of Chapter Twenty