Chapter Ten:

Part Two: Maine

Chapter Ten:

On the day of the barbecue I awake in a lonely bed. The sweet smell of breakfast wafts my way and I can feel my stomach growling. I guess I'll get out of bed for breakfast.

Shuffling down the stairs and into the kitchen, a heaping plate of waffles greets me, topped with a generous helping of whipped cream.

I take my place and grab the awaiting can to add more.

"Where's the other half of the can?" He looks away quietly, feeding Moichi. Who would have thought.

I can't imagine Sesshoumaru standing in front of the fridge, door open, funnelling whipped cream into his mouth from the can.

I lounge in my pyjamas while Sesshoumaru's been ready for hours. We sit on the couch, him reading, me watching T.V.

"So you've never been to a party before?" He shakes his head.

"Well, it's a lot like stripping. You get stared at a lot and people make dumb comments."

"I promise I'll behave."

xxx

We seem to be the last ones to arrive. Everyone from the street is crammed into the postage stamp sized lawn. Men stand around with beers in hand while women bustle around, putting food onto tables, gathering cutlery and performing odd jobs.

Sesshoumaru slips behind me, waiting for me to make the first move. I slither into the yard, torte in hand, looking for someone to give it to.

I'm nervous, but not for myself, more so for Sesshoumaru. I can feel his presence behind me, demonic aura flowing slightly. He seems a little on edge, as if meeting new people scares him, but I am definitely the only person who knows how he is actually feeling.

People start to notice we have arrived. A man whom I have never actually talked to before approaches us and takes Sesshoumaru's masterfully baked cake.

"Hey there neighbour, names Jim." He shakes my hand as I introduce myself then turns to Sesshoumaru.

"Ichiro" He reaches a clawed hand out and shakes the mans hand.

"Come on over and help yourself to some refreshments. Do you want a beer?" He directs his gaze to Sesshoumaru, who to my surprise nods. Jim disappears within the crowd and I look to Sesshoumaru.

"You're going to have a beer?" His eye lock onto mine and he shrugs.

"Isn't that what one does at a party?"

"Oh Kagome, how was your trip to Vegas?" The voice comes from behind me and startles me. I turn slowly to find my neighbour Maggie.

"It was great! Mel and Ted had a beautiful wedding ceremony." I smile and she gives me a hug.

"Thanks again for making sure everything was okay while I was gone, I really appreciate it!"

"Oh don't you worry it was nothing honestly! By the way my name is Maggie" She reaches a hand out and Sesshoumaru takes it, nodding a little. I wonder how he feels about shaking hands? He must have gotten used to it when he left Japan all those years ago. Even touching all these people he must be a little weary of it.

He still seems so unattainable to me, his white skin glows in the sunlight, dancing off his hair as the breeze blows it away from his face. Him and his stupidly pretty hair. He stares with a blank expression as him and Maggie talk lightly, mostly about me and I take the time to observe and collect myself.