Chapter Twenty Four:

Part Six: Russia

Chapter Twenty Four:

It's been a week since we met Aleks and Demitri, and Sesshoumaru is not his usual self. He's sulking. We order in every night.

I miss his cooking.

He no longer covers his marks, which I don't mind, but it shows he no longer cares. His hair has almost completely faded back to silver, only a few grey strands remain among the white.

I'm worried about him. I've been back to work for three days and his depression is killing me. I'm used to our silence but not this silence. This silence is not the comfortable one we once shared together. This silence is isolating and lonely.

"Alright. What's wrong" He's laying in bed watching television when I get home. "What do you mean?" I spot the sundae he's been hiding. What a sugar hound.

"You're eating ice cream." I'm changing as he flips through all four of our Russian channels.

He shrugs with the spoon in his mouth.

"Sesshoumaru, something is wrong. Please tell me?" Sauntering over I try to take the spoon. He growls playfully letting his eyes wander.

"Don't you dare do something seductive and distract me." He lets the spoon go, grabs my waist and throws me onto the bed.

"Cheater! Cheater!" I shout as kisses are showered over my neck.

"You can't distract me!" But it's too late, the clothes are shed.

xxx

"So are you going to tell me?" He grabs hold of my waist.

"No, you know what, that's fine. I was just going to guess anyway. You're sad and depressed about not seeing your friends again. You're upset that Aleks and Demitri are to blame. But they're not. It's the villagers fault that they're gone. Maksmir is still around. We can find him. Why aren't you just happy that you're alive!" I feel the tears prick my eyes.

"You can be so selfish sometimes! At least you're alive! Think about it! Everyone's gone! They're all gone! Every one of them! Just be happy. Please. For me, just be happy" He cups my cheek. I should take my own advice. I was the one who was selfish. I was the one who left... I had a choice and I decided to leave, and now the one person I came back for I'm not even near.

"I am happy. I am happy that I am alive, but I am allowed to be sad that my friends are gone." He nuzzles his nose to mine, tracing his hand down my cheek, taking the tears away.

"Well, you have a weird way of showing it." I look to the ice cream bowl beside the bed.

"Would you like me to grin all the time?"

"Of course not, I just want you to show some emotion is all. That way I can pick up the pieces for once in my life." He pulls me close and I wrap my legs around him.

"But then what will I be good for if I can't fold you up and protect you."

"You can be my partner in crime. Working together to pick up the pieces."

xxx

Sesshoumaru's almost back to his old self. We've successfully kept in touch with Aleks and Demitri, they're even supposed to come to the apartment for dinner soon.

"What should we make for them?"

"You're the chef. You decide." He decides on duck and we need to head out to the grocery store to gather all of the ingredients.