c l i m a x // X

Dara woke up from the loud laughter coming from downstairs. She opened her eyes and stretched out her body on the bed. For weeks now, she has been spending her dark nights alone in their before-things-fucked-up room. She tried to sleep in the couch, in the guest room and even in Shin Yong’s room but somehow she always finds herself being dragged in their room and only in there she could find her damn sleep.

She smiled bitterly at herself. How could she find refuge to this same room that haunts her every night?

She tossed to the left side of the bed and found it empty and unruffled. Oh, Jiyong must’ve spent the whole night with Shin Yong in his room. That’s good…

She stretched out for the last time and sat up on the bed. “This is only Day 1, Dara. 729 to go.” She said to herself, exhaling an amount of breath to keep her calm. “You can do this. Hwaiting!”

--

“Mommy!” Shin Yong shouted suddenly when Dara entered the dining hall.

Dara smiled at her son first then looked at Jiyong. He was looking back at her like it was the first time in his life he has seen her. She glared at him first then looked away immediately. After what he has done to her? He has the guts to do that? Dara scoffed inwardly.

“Hey, baby!” said Dara, walking up to them.

“Huh? Why?” Jiyong answered back suddenly.

Dara stopped on her tracks and stared at him like he’s grown nine heads. They stared at each other for a while until Dara broke out in loud laughter.

“What?” Jiyong asked her, his tone displeased. “What’s funny?”

“You, obviously. You were not the baby I’m referring to, Jiyong. It’s Shin Yong.” She answered, stifling her laughter.