c l i m a x // XIV

Mothers always know best.

Jiyong thought as he stared at the luxurious door closed in front of him. He warned the servants not to tell his parents that he’s home. It was a working weekday but somehow he found himself dragged in here first thing in the morning. The thought of his mother brushed in his mind after his encounter with Dara few nights ago. They still haven’t talk after that, she’s avoiding him these past few days. He doesn’t know what to do anymore and he needs someone to talk to—someone who won’t judge him and will listen to him. And that’s what brought him in his old home. He misses his mother and she’s the only one who can help him.

If he can’t figure out his feelings on his own maybe, just maybe his mother could.

He opened the door and entered his old home. The sight of his mother tending the flowers greeted him. It’s comforting. He smiled for the first time in days as he watched her un-aging beauty silently.

“Mom…” he called softly but enough for Mrs. Kwon to hear him.

Hee Sun smiled upon seeing the sight of his son. But as she gazed at his face, the smile on her face slowly faltered and replaced by a worried frown. He looked so lost, bothered and confused. Her motherly instinct told her that something is wrong.

“Jiyong-ah…” she said as she came closer to his only son. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry, mom.” Jiyong said then soon after bursting into tears. “I’m sorry.”

Hee Sun quicky pulled him into her embrace and caressed his back. Jiyong’s sobs were uncontrollable, making her heart break. This is the first time she’d seen Jiyong cry like this. Yet, she doesn’t know why.