c l i m a x // XXI

“Mommy!” Shin Yong struggled to free his wrists from the ropes as he shouted in fear. “Daddy!” his little voice shook with his body. Tears flowed out from his eyes. He tried move but his legs are also tied around the chair he was seated on.

“Awww…” Sohee said mockingly as she stared at the helpless little boy in front of her. The dim lights inside the old garage as their only source of light. “…are you scared, little boy?”

“Mommy!!!!” Shin Yong shouted once again, making Sohee smirk in delight. Even if he shouts until his lungs die of, it’ll be useless. No one can hear them, she made sure of that. “Daddy!”

“You see…” she said, approaching Shin Yong. “When you and your useless mom are gone…it will be just me and Jiyong. We will live happily without the both you pestering us.”

“No! Daddy loves Mommy and Shin Yong!”

“Shut up! Jiyong loves me! He loves me!” Sohee yelled louder, grabbing Shin Yong by his shoulders then shaking him. Her face beet red with anger. “Jiyong loves me!”

“Ahhhhh! It hurts! Mommy!” Shin Yong cried but Sohee kept on shaking him. His tears continuously flowed out of his eyes. Fear and pain are all Shin Yong can feel. “It hurts!”

--

“I’ll go with you.” The voice of Dara suddenly resonated inside the room. Jiyong looked behind him and saw a determined look on his wife’s face. “I’ll go with you and no one, not even you, can stop me.”

“Hey, were you there all this time? I mean you heard—“

“I heard, Ji. And I’m not letting you go alone.” Dara said, clenching her fists in determination. “We’ll save our son together.”

“No, no, no.” Jiyong retorded as he gently grabbed her shoulders. “You are not going. I can’t put your life at risk. Dara, I’d go insane if you and Shin Yong will be put in harm.”

Dara shook her head and cupped her husband’s face. “We’re in this together, baby.”

“This is all my fault, Dara. I’m sorry for putting you and our son into this mess.” Jiyong can’t help but break into tears as he enveloped Dara into a tight hug. “I’m really sorry.”

“Shhh…hush now.” She caressed his back, calming. “Whose fault is this right now is not important, Jiyong. Our main concern right now is Shin Yong and how we can save him.”

“But Dara, you’re not co—“

“I am going, Jiyong.” She said with a voice so serious and determined. “We’re in this together, remember that.”

--

Jiyong stopped the car in front of an old garage outside a town outside Seoul. It’s past midnight and the surroundings are pitch black outside. He looked at his wife who’s now busily scanning the whole area with her eyes.

“Dara…” he called out to her. Dara then looked back at him. “You don’t have to go inside.”

“No.” She shook her head in refusal. “I’ll go. I want to see Shin Yong and get him out of here.”

“If things get ugly, I want you to run outside quickly and take Shin Yong with you.”

“Nothing bad will happen, Ji.” She held Jiyong’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, reassuring him that everything will be alright. Jiyong heaved out a sigh and nodded at her. “Don’t ever let go of my hand, baby. Promise me.”

“I won’t, I promise.” He swears, giving her a warm smile. “Let’s go.”

--

As soon as they entered the building, three big men in black welcomed them and ushered them across the hall. No one talked just their footsteps on the floor were heard. Silence scared Dara since she can’t hear her son. She needs to hear Shin Yong’s voice so bad. Her grip on Jiyong’s hand tightens.