c l i m a x // XI

“Mommy, daddy’s phone is ringing.” Shin Yong pointed out to their living room table while he played on his truck and car toys.

Dara put down the book on her hand and stood up from the couch. “Where’s your dad, Shin Yong?” she said, picking up the phone.

“Bathroom.”

Ahn Sohee.

Dara saw her name flashing on Jiyong’s phone. She froze as the memories of that tragic night came back to her once again. Sohee’s voice, Jiyong’s painful words, her own tears uncontrollably rolling down her face and Jiyong walking out of her life. The same surge of pain washed over her once more, breaking her already broken heart.

“Dara.” Jiyong suddenly spoke, bringing her back to her senses. She looked at her and she saw Jiyong looking at his phone in her hands.

“Oh, here.” She said as she handed him back his phone. This is the part where she should be walking out and leave him be with her but her damn legs won’t let her move even an inch. And the fact that he’s staring at her didn’t help either.

“I...”

“Answer it.” She said, looking away from him. “I-I really don’t care.”

“Dara…” Jiyong looked at her hesitantly but Dara just nodded weakly in return. She walked away from him before he could speak anymore. She doesn’t want to hear even a bit of their conversation.

Whichever and whatever they’re discussing and talking about right now is out her concern anymore. Jiyong chose this and not her. Sohee earned him while she lost him. He gave up on their marriage and she’s on the verge of doing the same. She’s still in pain while he’s okay—so much better. And as much as Dara wants to get him out of her system, she can’t. ‘Cause even though he has hurt her so much and until now he still does, as much as she wants to…she can’t deny the fact that she still loves him.