Chapter 11

"What happened to you?" Harry asks worriedly, looking at the cut on his cheek. "Stay here. I'm getting some ointment for that."

"Don't." He wraps his hand around his wrist, making Harry sit back down. Draco manages to transfer himself to the same bench, climbing on him and pulling him into a ferocious kiss.

"Draco." Harry manages to pull away, stopping him. "Tell me what's wrong."

"Let me kiss you." He leans it again, stopped by his hand on his mouth.

"Don't fight with your parents." He says. "You will hurt yourself and you will hurt them."

"I don't care. They don't love me. They only love an ideology of me."

"That is not true." Harry looks at him straight. "Don't say that ever again. Maybe they don't understand, or they don't know how to express themselves, but I know they care about you."

"I don't feel their love." Draco buries his head in his chest. "They say they do, and then go out of their way to do things I don't want them to."

"Well, have you ever stared at the 'parent's signature' line and wondered what the hell you were doing to do?" He asks him. "Maybe you've asked yourself how to explain to your parents, but some people don't have parents to explain to. And it sucks.

"Because it's not guaranteed that any other adult would care about you. They all care about themselves first, and their own children. You have to fend for yourself, there's no one to run to when you're bullied, no one to speak up for you, and it's really really hard. No one is going to help you, so if you want something, you have to earn it. If not, it's beg, borrow, or steal.

"And you know that I envy your family. A lot. You don't understand how fortunate you are." Harry says. Draco nods after a while, collapsing into his arms.

"I'm sorry." He mumbles.

"It's okay. Move a little." He shifted Draco to his left hand, the right fumbling into the bag for the camera. He adjusts the lens for a few seconds before quickly snapping a picture of 2 birds on a branch, perfectly in the centre of the sun behind them.

"Promise me you'll minimise conflict with your parents, okay?" He asks. Draco nods again, getting a small kiss on his forehead.

—————
"Finally shift is over."

"And thank god it is. Sit down and help me with these math problems." Blaise invites Harry over quickly.

"Oh, question 47. There's an error. No solution." He says, sitting opposite Draco who was absorbed into his watercolours. "What're you painting?"

"You'll see when I'm done." He smiles, dipping his thin brush into a dark shade of grey.

"What are you going to submit for the assignment? I'm not sure what looks better, the vase or the mummy." Pansy says, showing him both pieces.

"What's your topic?"

"Monochromatic, any subject."

"I would've have brought out the brightness of the mummy's eyes, or the cracked details on the sides. Actually, I just thought of something cool, but I'm not sure if you could add it in." Draco says. "You could tint the background, make it look like papyrus script, and then do some cool script at the back."

"Yes, great." She smiles, immediately sketching out some guidelines. "You finished yours already?"

"Mhm." He takes out his finished piece. Draco L. Malfoy. Topic: hourglass, any style. The hourglass was split in the middle, one half fully shaded with grey, the other in vibrant watercolours. On the bright side, the sand in the top half was emphasised, a few red roses framing the hourglass, 2 rings and a piece of satin ribbon linking them together beside it. On the grey side, the bottom part of the sand was more prominent, 3 stalks of dewy roses laid out in front of a gravestone in the background.

"Holy fuck, Draco." Pansy gasps. "You see? This is why the other students are getting such low grades. You're setting standards that are too high."

"I've been wanting to do something like that for a long time." He says defensively.

"Of course, talented little bitch." She rolls her eyes. "Now I'm thinking of redoing it."

"It's nice." Hermione comforts her.

"Until you put it next to his." Pansy sighs. "What would you have done if you had my topic?"

"Mm... monochromatic paintings are kinda my favourites to do. Maybe something like this." He flips through an old sketchbook, showing her a wine bottle next to a toppled wine glass in a deep maroon red. "Wine drawn with wine. Something like that."

"Ooh, that's cool." Harry smiles with a hint of pride in his voice.

"Wine is that concentrated?" She gasps.

"You gotta layer." He tells her. "The trick is to have 3 main shades. The medium, light and dark. And the rest are blending shades."

"Remind me, how many times have you painted with wine, exactly?" Crabbe asks incredulously.

"Not that many. It doesn't only work for wine. This one is passion fruit tea..." He shows them a hibiscus flower. "... and this one is my Mother's leftover matte eyeshadow..." he flips to another page with a small sparrow. "... and my newest one so far." He flips several pages back on the book he was working on.

"Okay, shit. Because that's goddamn cute." Blaise says. Harry blushes at the painting of himself, in waiter's uniform like he was now, at the counter making coffee.

"The point being, there's plenty of options with monochromatic." Draco says, going back to his painting. "I was kind of hoping for your topic. But oh well."

"Mental note: consult Draco for every single art assignment from now." Pansy murmurs. "By the way, did you hear Cormac got flowers as his topic? Flowers! That's like the easiest thing ever!"

"Lucky pick. But we get the points for creativity." He shrugs. "If I was him, I would've let the flower tell a story, but whatever."

"You know he's unoriginal as hell, so he's probably gonna do some simple crappy sketched rose."

"Even better, because guess who has roses on their painting as well, plus some extra stuff to convey a story?"

"True that." She says. "Hey, what do you think they're gonna make us do next?"

"Hope it's humans. Sketch or full colour, I don't care. Maybe up to the chest, because I have this great idea and I already have my model." Draco smiles at Harry who smiles back.

"Should I put out an advertisement for a model too?" Pansy asks hopelessly.

"Hey, I volunteered. Multiple times, may I add." Blaise hums, putting his pen down.

"You're thinking of sex half the time. I don't want to draw your erect cock." She snaps.

"Hey, it's constantly erect. Isn't that a good thing for artists, consistence?" He asks, almost innocently. "And you can please it after. That sounds like the perfect payment."

"One more word about that and I'll cut your tongue off." He shrugs, twirling the pen in his fingers as their friends try to hide their laughter.