First Impressions

Shock glued your mouth shut and you joined the townspeople in their frozen state.

     "Wait, what?" You asked, still trying to soak in this new information. World of your birth? That was here! Wasn't it?

     "The time has come," the Oracle announced. The little window into the other world changed to a scene of a dark, empty alley. Very appealing, not. In the center there floated a mystical looking dark F/C cloak. You must be dreaming. Then how did you wake up from a dream this morning? Could a person dream during a dream? Probably, but this didn't feel like a dream. You tried to fly, it didn't work. Pulling yourself back into reality (if that's what this was), you again stared at the cloak obscuring your view of the alley.

     "What's that?" You asked. Obviously it was a cloak, but it didn't really fit with the scenery.

     "It will be your shield and guide, if you choose to return. Make your choice wisely, for it will only come once." As he spoke, he began to gradually fade away.

     His final words snapped you out of your thoughts. "No wait! What do you mean the world of my birth? I'm human!" You called out desperately as you tried to grab his arm. Your hand went right through and then he was gone. He could have stuck around long enough to answer one simple question. Well, it wasn't really simple, but he obviously could have answered it.

     Just then, the picture of the alley next to you began to fade. If you let it disappear, life would go back to normal. Without hesitation, you took a deep breath and walked through. Unknowingly, you had closed your eyes. When you opened them, it was dark. Magically, you were now wearing the mysterious cloak. It covered most of your face and body and there was a pearl button on the front holding it together at your neck. Voices echoed off the walls of the building on either side of you, but you couldn't tell which direction they were from. Adrenaline flooded your system as you heard the all too familiar whirring footsteps of robotisized citizens. Stifling your gasp with a hand, you quickly assessed your surroundings and for lack of time, dove into a nearby dumpster. You barely made it. Raising the lid half an inch, you squinted in the dark and watched two of Robotnik's poor slaves pass by. You breathed a sigh of relief.

     Okay... what now? Climbing out of the trash can, you checked to make sure the coast was clear and headed to your right. Wrong way! Quickly dodging back into the alley at the sight of some rich looking aristocrats, you ran to the left. Nothing. A menacing building rose in front of you, it gave you chills. This place was creepy.

     Casually walking out of the alley as if you belonged was difficult. For one you were still a human and the only other one of those around here was Robotnik! Pulling the cloak tighter, you willed everyone to ignore you. You stuck out like a sore thumb. You'd never been here, nothing in this area was familiar to you and you were in another world with a mission that you had no idea how to accomplish. Looked like a sketchy part of town too, not great for your first impression of Mobius. As you got neared the massive building, the crowd thinned out. It wasn't just one building, more like a complex. All the walls where metal rather than the brick, cement and stone that you were used to. Eventually you realized you had been walking alone in the silence darkness for a long time.

     "Hey Y/N go save the world okay?" You mumbled to yourself. "How? Oh that's just a minor detail you don't need to know that or why-" Your mood instantly morphed from annoyed to terrified and you gasped as your whining was interrupted by large, rough, metallic hands lifting you by your shoulders.

     "Citizen, you are under arrest!" A horrifying, monotone voice informed you. Oh, so that was why there was nobody else over here. You weren't even a citizen anyway! Instinctively you struggled, but to no avail. Apparently the Oracle was wrong about you being helpful, because you were about to get robotisized in your first five minutes! Panic gripped you even tighter than the swatbot. Before you could even wonder what to do, a power chord from an electric guitar quite literally blasted through the air, pulverizing your unsuspecting swatbot and tossing you roughly a few feet away.

     "Hey, are you alright?" Sonic, always the protector, asked as he headed your way. Although very familiar, Sonic's voice suddenly had a new effect on you: heart palpitations and a huge blush. Glancing up, you saw a fairly fuzzy Manic and Sonia trailing him. You gave a slight shake of your head to clear your vision, quickly grabbing your hood as it threatened to fall off. If they saw you were a human who knew what they'd do. Even with your hood down you could see the tips of Sonic's white gloves as he reached to help you up. It suddenly occurred to you that you should stop staring at his fingers and actually move.

     "Yeah, I'm fine. Thank you." You murmured sheepishly as you took his hand and allowed him to pull you up. You could practically hear the blush in your tone. Sonic's grip was firm and he was stronger than he looked. Of course you couldn't tell how he looked right now because your cloak eclipsed your view so all you could see were his red running shoes. Everything was so different in real life. The pavement under you was cold, while Sonic's hand was warm. Suddenly it all sank in. You were actually in Mobius talking to Prince Sonic! As he would say, this was way past cool! You wanted to lift your hood so you could see everyone clearly, but then they would know your secret.

     "Hey I've got to go, thanks for your help!" You called as you ran back the way you had come. Once you were far enough away, you leaned against a building and sighed deeply. Sliding down the wall, you hugged your knees to your chest and wondered what to do next.

Sonic's POV

     Sonic reached down to help the girl up. Maybe next time he should free the prisoner before blasting the swatbot. Yeah that was a better idea. As the girl stood, Sonic opened his mouth to introduce himself and ask her what she was doing on Robotnik's property. It was dangerous, especially on a night like tonight, when Robotnik was hosting a play. the place was buzzing with swatbots. That girl was either really brave or really stupid. Before he could speak, the girl ran a few feet away.

     "Hey I've got to go, thanks for your help!" She called as she disappeared around the corner. He stared after her, that was weird. Confused at her speedy flight, Sonic glanced at Manic, who shrugged. Suddenly determined, Sonic took a step in the direction the girl had gone, but Sonia jerked him back. Sonic gave her a surprised and slightly irritated look.

     "And just where do you think your going?" Sonia asked as she released his arm and crossed hers.

     "Yeah man," Manic chimed in. "We've got other problems, like busting Butnik's boring bash." He reminded Sonic.

     "Exactly, and I'd like to get out of this hideous excuse for a dress as soon as possible." Sonia announced as she shot a nasty look at Manic.

     Sonic took one last curious look down the dark alley, then turned back to his siblings. "Yeah you're right. Come on, Cyrus said the best point of entry was..."