Trial Two

AN: I have no excuse. I'm so sorry.

You all owe Zoesittininmyroom, normalcupheadblog and all the other commenters a huge thank you since bc of them the story is now completed! This isn't the last chapter, but everything is written and I will post the others momentarily. Thanks so much for your patience and encouragement and I hope you enjoy the dramatic conclusion to this crazy story.

Sonic's POV
     "Man I could use a chili dog right now," Sonic muttered as he continued down the hallway away from the army of swatbots. Aside from a few stray lasers coming through the hole, he was safe. Or at least as safe as possible while hungry, exhausted and trapped in the lair of a very powerful enemy who wanted him dead and had hostages. So maybe not so safe.

     There was nowhere for him to go but forward and Sonic was starting to regret running into this with no plan. Then again, if he was honest, any plan he made would probably have ended in disaster. It wasn't long before he came upon a large body of -you guessed it- water. That wouldn't have been such a big issue if there was a bridge or a boat at least, but in this case there wasn't even an opposite shore. What was he supposed to do? He couldn't go back. The swatbots would overpower him while he waited for his amulet to recharge.

     An ominous grating noise sliced through the silence and a giant steel door dropped down, locking him in. Sonic glanced at it, then back at the water. For a moment the gently lapping waves from the water seemed to bleed into the shore, making everything hazy. Quickly shaking his head, Sonic shut his eyes and said aloud.

     "Get it together Sonic! For Manic, and Sonia, and Y/n!" Opening them again, he analyzed the situation. All he could see was the dark water and the cold metal walls and floor. Wait- was that... a drain! At the bottom of the pool of course. A spike of terror shot through Sonic's heart, but he grinned despite it.

     "I may not be any good at swimming, but sinking is my specialty!" Not giving himself a second longer to dwell on it, he dove in and pulled the plug, holding his breath while the water receded around him.

     "Now what?" He wondered aloud, then gasped as his question was answered by a flash of green and purple clothing, vanishing into a trapdoor in the side of the pool. "Mom wait!" Sonic yelled, speeding into the tunnel only to find it empty. "Why don't you ever wait?" He asked sadly.

Y/n POV

     "What?!" Robotnik raged. "Why is she here? How did she get in? Find her!" He screamed in Enigma's face, which remained stoic.

     "Your eminence, she ISN'T here. It is simply an illusion I created to hinder Sonic by messing with his emotions. Now he has one more thing to worry about in the midst of what is already a crisis. I apologize that I forgot to inform you of the change." Strangely enough, Enigma seemed to be looking at you as much as at Robotnik. Hiding your disgust and fury at this cruel manipulation was becoming more difficult. You barely wanted to anymore. It would be so much more satisfying to just attack the two men, although it was definitely an ill conceived idea.  You'd be no use to the hedgehogs if you were imprisoned or robotisized. Enigma continued.

     "By the time the three tests are over, he will be too exhausted and disheartened to put up a fight. He will be yours." Enigma's stare was getting unnerving and you shifted uncomfortably, turning back to the screen. The trapdoor's tunnel soon opened up into a long steel hallway. Sonic walked down it warily, clearly deep in thought. You desperately hoped he wasn't giving in like Enigma assumed he would. Your heart ached for him. All you wanted was to go be with him, to help him. To explain what you could and endure the trials together, drawing on each other for strength. If only you knew what the last trial was. The suspense was awful. Enigma spoke up one more time, completely focused on you, although sounding like his mind was far away.

     "At the end of this, we will have everything we want."