The Price of Trust

You crawled along in silence following the faint blue light. Suddenly something occurred to Sonic. 

     "Hey, how come you know my name? And what is that thing?" Asked Sonic, pointing to your pearl clasp. How were you supposed to explain that? Why couldn't you have just said "come on" without using his name?

     "Oh uh, you wouldn't believe me if I told you." You said honestly.

     "Do you have any idea how to give a straight answer?" Sonic queried a little too loudly in his annoyance. Suddenly you noticed it was getting quiet above the stage. Robotnik must have ordered an evacuation so you and Sonic would be easier to find.

     "Is it just me or is it getting a little too quiet up there?" You questioned.

     "Apparently not," replied Sonic dryly. Oh he was still stuck on the straight answer thing.

     You sighed. "Yes, for your information I actually do know how to give a straight answer, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea." Before Sonic could reply the blue light illuminated a door in the wall just ahead of you. There was a small brass knob, you gently reached out to twist it. When it didn't open you shook it violently to no avail.

     "Splendid," you muttered. "It's locked," you said, turning to face Sonic. With a charismatic grin, he whipped out an old fashioned key from his non-existent pocket. (Isn't cartoon logic wonderful?)

     "Would this help?" He held it out to you. After making a face at him, you took the key and fitted it into the whole. Opening the door slowly to minimize the creaking, you carefully peaked through. Your heart skipped a beat as two forms came into view, but they were much too small to be Sleet and Dingo.

     Manic was bouncing a bright red ball against the wall, while Sonia ranted to him about how Sonic was always late. You smiled at the scene before pulling away to let Sonic enter first. Before he was even through the door Sonia started at him.

     "Sonic Hedgehog you're late! Again! Where in Mobius have you been? Manic and I have been waiting here for 15 minutes! You're lucky no guards have come through here or our plan would be ruined, Manic and I would be robots and it'd be all your fault!" She yelled. Sonic glanced over at Manic, who shrugged, both feeling bad for Sonic and agreeing with Sonia.

     "You can't just do your own thing and show up whenever it pleas- who is that?" Sonia interrupted herself as you crawled through the door to save Sonic.

     "She's the 'where is Mobius' I've been for the past 15 minutes." Sonic replied smugly. "But actually, that's something I'd like to know too," Sonic turned, getting a good look at you for the first time, no wait, this was the second time!

     "You're that girl we saved in the street earlier today." Sonic realized.

     "Actually it was late yesterday," Sonia corrected. "It's already morning."

     "Why did you run away?" Sonic asked suspiciously. He had a right. You were very suspicious. Suddenly you understood exactly how a mouse felt when caught in a trap. 

     "Well, uh, I-I um..." Rubbing the back of your neck, you looked everywhere, but at the hedgehogs. "Yeah uh so..." You trailed off, racking your brain unsuccessfully to find a suitable answer.

     "She has a problem with straight answers," Sonic informed his siblings helpfully. You made a face at him.

     "Hey guys I hate to burst your bubble, but we've got a job to do." Manic cut in casually.

     You gasped. "Wait! I came here to warn you! Whatever your mission here is it's a trap! The resistance base is being raided as we speak you've got to get back and save whoever's left! It might be too late already!"

     "No offense, but why should we believe you?" Manic questioned crossing his arms. You glanced pleadingly over at Sonic.

     "I hate to say it but he's right." Sonic agreed. "You ran away from us earlier, won't show us your face or even tell us your name."

     "Because I can't! You've got to believe me anyway, if you don't all your friends will be robotisized!" You cried hopelessly. It was obvious you'd already lost them. If you were them you wouldn't trust yourself either.

     "Hmm," Sonia thought for a moment. "If you show us your face and tell us your name and how you got this information, we'll come with you," she decided for the three of them.

     Clenching your fists you looked away in anguish. You couldn't let all those good, innocent people die, but what choice did you have in the matter? If you didn't betray your identity, people died. If you did, would the triplets believe you? No chance would they trust a human, but you had to try.

     "Okay," You stated with as much calmness as you could gather. "My name is Y/N L/N," your hands hovered at the sides of your hood. They didn't seem to recognize the name. You squeezed your eyes tightly shut and took a breath. Maybe you were making a mountain out of a molehill. Slowly, you pulled off the hood and glanced up at the hedgehogs to gauge their reactions.

     Instantly Sonia gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. Manic stared, not sure what to think. You couldn't bring yourself to look at Sonic and stared at your feet instead.

     Taking a deep breath you looked up. "Now will you help?"

     "One question first Y/N," Sonic stated, seemingly unfazed. You waited for him to continue. "Who are you and I don't mean your name?"

     You smiled at him, relieved at his reaction. "Sorry, but once again I can't give you a straight answer. This time it's because I honestly don't know. We really need to hurry, but I promise I won't run away again and I'll tell you everything I know once we stop the raid on your base. Deal?"

     Sonic looked at Sonia and then Manic before saying, "Deal!"