Surprises

A gust of night wind howled through the metal alley and you pulled your cloak tighter around your body. You knew you couldn't stay here, balled up against a wall, but you didn't have anywhere else to go. This world was dangerous and worse yet it was somehow up to you to change that! Any second a swatbot or robotisized citizen could round that corner and there would be nothing you could do against their overpowering robot strength. If it weren't for Sonic and his siblings, your mission would already be over. What were they doing now? Sonia had been wearing that awful dress when you'd seen her. Hadn't Manic said something about a play? Whether he did or not, it didn't matter to you anyway. Whatever they were doing had nothing to do with you. Maybe you should have stayed home, you were no help here. A wave of loneliness crashed over you. The wind picked up, causing you to notice the streaks of liquid running down your face.

     "Splendid." You muttered as you wiped them away. They were making you cold. "How am I supposed to help when I need help?" You whispered hopelessly, not expecting an answer. A slight tinging sound rang through the alley, barely perceptible over the raging wind. You gasped and uncurled, jumping to your feet and scanning the alley. Nothing was- suddenly t5he pearl that clasped your cloak began to glow, first blue, then yellow, then red, green, purple, orange, pink- until they were switching around to fast for you to see. It only took a split second to settle on red. To bad you didn't know what that meant.

     On a whim, you walked to the right exit, the threatening red morphed into a more welcoming sky blue.

     "It will be your shield and guide," you recalled the Oracle's words. Well it wouldn't be shielding you right now, so that left guide. You turned to the left- red, to the right- blue. Red was generally a sign of danger of anger, so you decided to follow the blue. When the alley ended the light turned red again. You turned to the left, blue. Following the directions from your cloak, you ended up almost walking into two mobians. Quick as light you darted back behind the corner, in the process the wind tore your hood off, but you jerked it back over your head before it had even finished falling off.

     "Did you hear something?" Asked one of the frog like critters in a fearful, nasally voice. You felt the urge to run far away, but the pearl had lost its glow. There was no more red or blue to direct you. You gave the pearl a few hopeful taps, nothing.

     "Yeah I heard something," replied the fatter one. Desperately you tried to steady your breathing. If you moved now they'd hear or see you.

     The fat one continued, "I heard the sound of your heart pounding out of your chest because it's dark outside. You know, your the biggest coward I know."

     "I'm serious I really heard something!" Insisted the skinny one. A pause. "Well, I think I did anyway," he finished, clearly questioning his own judgement.

     "You're imagining things." The fat one rolled his eyes. "Now come on, we've got to get to the rebel base before Robotnik's play begins so we can help with the captures."

     "You're right," agreed the skinny one, tossing aside his fear. "If we don't hurry the play will be over and the hedgehogs will come and ruin everything."

     That was all you needed to hear, instantly you turned on your heel and ran. It didn't matter that the pearl wasn't glowing, you knew exactly where to go. Robotnik's enormous complex easily towered above all other buildings in the area. Of course Robotnik had probably passed a law that no one was allowed to have a bigger building than him, that was just the kind of person he was. Soon you were staring up at the building. Was it one building or many? They were all connected. The biggest was a large metal dome, with many other buildings branching off. A dome would be a nice place to have a play, but how would you get in? There was a wall bordering all of Robotnik's property, about twenty feet in height. Obstacle number one. Luckily Sonic had already blasted the patrol for this area for you.

     As you glanced around the dimly lit street, your eyes came to rest on the alley you had originally appeared in. Hadn't that dumpster been on wheels? It took all of 1 minute for you to lug the stinky garbage bin all the way to the wall. It wasn't high enough, but it was a start. Unfortunately there was nothing else to use in the area. Your frustration built up, if you didn't get in there to warn Sonic (oh and Sonia and Manic too of course), all the freedom fighters at the local fort would get robotisized! A daring idea entered your mind. It was probably stupid, but you didn't have a lot of time or options. Slowly you opened the dumpster and pulled out a broken meat cleaver.

     Fully making up your mind in a heartbeat, you tucked the sharp, uneven blade inside inside your cloak and sprinted off to your right, following the metal wall. There had to be more than one guard, this place was ginormous! Sure enough, just as you were about to give up from exhaustion you came across the main entrance. The gates were closed. That meant the play had already begun, which meant so had Robotnik's raid on the freedom fighters' base! Fortunately for you, the guards were both robotisized citizens instead of swatbots. They had to have some brain power right? Well, you were about to find out.

     Throwing back your head, you finally allowed the wind to blow off your hood. Without it you felt exposed, but you covered it up with a feigned air of haughtiness. Confidently, you strode up to the gate.

     You waited one split second. "Open the gate!" You screeched in an annoyed tone, as if you'd been waiting an eternity.

     "Please show your invitation." One of the guards held out a hand.

     You gave him an icy glare. "I don't need an invitation I'm Y/N L/N, Robotnik and I are family." The words tasted bitter on your tongue even though they weren't true.

     The guard scanned you up and down with a beam of green light from his robotic eye. You prepared for an arrest and a fight. Once you were in, you could escape and find Sonic. What happened next pleased and disgusted you, but most of all shocked you.

     "Identity confirmed. You may enter." The monotone voice of the guard informed you as the gates swung open.

     Wait what? Quickly hiding your shock, you casually strolled through the gates and watched them close behind you. You sighed in relief. Every one on this side of the gate was safely inside. You were alone. Okay time out! Identify confirmed? It knew you! Did that mean you were actually- you gagged at the thought- related to Robotnik?! No way, you knew your family tree and there was no evil maniac tyrant in your ancestry. Then again you also knew that your world was the only real one and it was impossible to travel to any other.

     What was going on here? Surely the Oracle knew, but of course he wouldn't tell you. Queen Aleena probably knew, but she wasn't going to be easy to find. Robotnik would know. You were fairly sure of that, but you'd rather stick your hand in a blender than ask him. Maybe one of the freedom fighters at the base could help you figure things out, if you warned the hedgehogs in time!

     Snapping yourself out of your thoughts, you pulled your hood low over your eyes and set your determined stride for the arched entrance to the intimidating, metal dome. Time was running out. There were no guards outside these doors and they were unlocked. Gently opening one of the double doors, you cautiously peaked through. All was dark, but there was a light ahead of you coming from underneath a door on the car side of the room. Applause rang out loudly, filling the room you were in and letting you know that the play was being performed just on the other side of that door. Slipping through the door, you quietly shut it and ran to the other door. You didn't care open it, what if it was in plain sight?

     As you contemplated your options, you didn't hear the person sneak up behind you. Suddenly a large gloved hand clamped roughly over your mouth.