The Counsel of Four

The waiting was agony (Y'all would know all about that wouldn't you?). What could Enigma possibly do against all those swatbots? If only you hadn't been so blindly obedient! You should be out there helping, not cowering in here!

     The silence was broken as a blast hit the metal cylinder just above your head, denting it. With a gasp you jumped back and almost knocked Sonic over. Before you could recover, he grabbed your arms.

     "Scanning..." His robotic voice echoed in the small chamber as a light from his false eye went up and down you.

     "Identified. Y/n L/n, niece of Doctor Robotnik." With that he released you and everything went black again. He must have been reactivated at the same time as the swabots. An idea sprang up in your mind.

     "Sonic, Sonia, Manic, I order you to get us out of here." You held your breath in anticipation. Suddenly you felt Sonic's gloved hand pull you back behind him and then a deafening blast echoed around the chamber as the light flooded in to show all three hedgehogs with their smoking robotic arms extended in front of them. The scene that met your eyes was a horrible one. Enigma was lying on the ground unmoving. Queen Aleena had returned and was kneeling over him. There were spots of red on her white gown, exposed now that her cloak blanketed the prone figure. Robotnik, Sleet and Dingo stood on watching, with swatbots completing the circle around the two.

     The attention was turned to you as you emerged from the wreckage of the machine. Silence hung in the air, broken only by the queen's ragged breathing. You slowly raised a hand to point at Robotnik.

     "Kill him!" You growled. The three hedgehogs advanced.

     "Stop!" Came the counter order. They obeyed. "Y/n," Robotnik cooed. "It was an accident, you know I wouldn't have done something like this on purpose, dear. He would have had you robotisized if I hadn't gotten here in time to stop him." He began to approach you.

     "No! Stay there." Your voice trembled. Enigma... he had to be the rightful king. Otherwise he wouldn't have a medallion and Queen Aleena wouldn't be reacting like this. She'd lost her husband. That meant the triplets had lost their father, without ever meeting him. The triplets- they were still robotisized. More than 20 swatbots filled the room, along with three living enemies. You were no stranger to rage, but the injustice of it all boiled in your gut and combined with the empty feeling of loss to make you feel sick.

     Before you could act, Queen Aleena brought out her flute and played a melancholy tune that gave you goosebumps. The music filled the room so thoroughly it blocked out everything else with it's quiet melody. Flowing through your mind, the air and the very fabric of the world, it was all consuming until it faded leaving only the aftertaste of your favorite food, or the vague memory of a pleasant dream.

     "Y/n." The heartbreak in the queen's voice broke you from your reverie.

     "I'm sorry," you said helplessly. She shook her head.

     "Thank you," she said softly. "You should leave. They'll come around any second. There's no need for you to share our fate."

     "What? No. I can't leave you. I can't leave them." You looked at the triplets.

     "You must not allow your feelings to cloud your judgement. Without the king, there is no hope. All five royals must wield our medallions to undo robotisization and lock Robotnik away. Now there are only four."

     You wanted to deny it. Find a way around it. Disregard it. You couldn't be this close and fail. The oracle said you were sent to this world to save it!

     "Sonic, Sonia, Manic remove them the room. Carefully, don't jar them. Lock them in a room that will hold them for as long as possible and then return." The robotisized siblings obeyed. You just had to hope that they didn't discover the hole the queen had blasted in the wall. You doubted they'd go looking for a new entrance.

     "What if I try?" You asked desperately. "I'm Robotnik's niece, that makes me royalty, if not rightfully so. It couldn't hurt anything."

     She gave you a long look, but then her children walked in and she turned to look at each of them. Wordlessly, she bent over and reached around her husband's neck to remove his medallion. Then she handed brought it together with the other 4. As soon as they all touched, a piercing light and high pitched ringing resounded through the room, then faded. Reverently, she slipped the medallions of her children over their heads. Then, she held out that of the fallen king to you. Without breaking eye contact, you took it and clasped it around your neck.

     "What now?"

     "Take my hand." She took Sonic's hand and then yours. You took Sonia's.

     "Sonic, Sonia, take Manic's hands."

     They did and the world exploded with color. Vibrant blues, pinks, greens, silver... so many swirls of color moving so fast you felt you should have been sick, but instead it was beautiful. The air suddenly felt fresh and light, like the very essence of Mobius was being purified. Maybe it was.

     When it was all over, you opened your eyes, not having noticed they were closed. Sonic was looking directly at you, through two normal eyes.

     "Y/n?" Then he looked to his left and gaped. "Sonia, Manic?! But you were-" Without finishing he threw himself at them and although bewildered, they returned the hug heartily. When they pulled away, all at once they registered their mother's presence.

     "Mom," Sonic breathed.

     Sonia covered her mouth, eyes watering. "Mother?" She gasped. Manic could only stare, to overcome for words.

     Dropping to her knees, the Queen smiled through her tears and embraced her children as they ran to her. "It's time. It's finally time." Her tears dripped into Sonia's hair, as she buried her face in it, but for once, Sonia couldn't care about anything less than her appearance. The hug must have lasted ten minutes, but there is no measure of time in such an emotional experience. Your own tears of happiness for them streamed down your face. Nothing would ever compare to being witness to this moment.

     All too soon it was broken, by Robotnik and company entering the room.

     "Impossible!" He bellowed. The royal family exchanged a last look before rising to focus on him. Robotnik stepped back under the weight of their collective glares.

     Striding forward to stand alongside them, you copied their actions and cradled the medallion at your neck. Instead of an instrument, the action created a wind, so heavy and strong that all the swatbots simultaneously exploded. Robotnik, and his cronies were forced to clench their eyes shut and shielded their faces with their arms. Unaffected, you and the hedgehogs advanced and circled them. Sonic grabbed your hand. You grabbed the queen's. She took Sonia's, who took Manic's. When Manic reached out and completed the circle, there was a flash of white and everything was still. The three villains were gone.

     A slow grin spread across Sonic's face. "That was way past cool!"

     "Where did they go?" Asked Sonia.

     "The wastelands, on the border of Mobius, far far from New Mobotropolis." The queen smiled. There was a moment of silence.

     "I can't believe he's really gone." Manic said.

     "Believe it darling," his mother kissed him gently on the cheek. "The palace belongs to us again, and together we can rule our kingdom.

     "Together," Sonia echoed. "I like the sound of that."

One chapter left! Kudos to PhoenixGirl26 for guessing Enigma's identity ;).