Chapter 3

31st July 1991

31st July 1991.

It'd been just over a month since Thalia began her holiday around her uncle's and already she could tell there was a difference between this visit and the previous ones. For example, her and Theo spent most of their days either with a tutor learning the basics about what they will be learning in the year to come or a tutor teaching them etiquette skills. Thalia was forced to spend even longer with that hag as she had to learn how to be 'ladylike' overnight. Apparently, it wasn't becoming of her to do anything fun, such as play Quidditch.

 On the odd day that they weren't learning something, they would be going on social outings or looking after guests in the manor. The majority of these guests would be in the same social circle as her uncle - Lord and Lady Malfoy, Lord and Lady Greengrass and Lady Zabini were just a few who would grace their presence at the manor at a regular basis. They would all bring their children who would then have to be entertained by Thalia and Theo whilst the adults discussed 'business'. The idea was for their children to form friendships or allies that they could then use during their time at Hogwarts and into the working world afterwards.

In Thalia's opinion, they weren't terrible. Alright, Blaise and Draco would constantly compare whatever they'd just been bought by their parents. Vincent and Greg both had learning difficulties; Vince had severe dyslexia whilst Greg suffered from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) which caused them both to struggle in their academics and become introverted around people. Pansy and Daphne mostly gossiped about the latest fashion while Millicent was more an animal lover than a people person.

But each of them had redeeming qualities; Blaise could tell amazing jokes, Draco was exceptionally loyal, Vince could talk for hours about baking and his artistic talents, Greg was amazing at gardening, Pansy could throw a quaffle through a hoop from the ground, Daphne was a brilliant dueller and Millie could recite facts about any creature you mentioned. Yet, none of the parents appreciated those facts, except maybe Narcissa Malfoy, Ezramelda Zabini and Thalia's parents.

However, to avoid her uncle getting excited about marriage contracts, Thalia mostly avoided the boys. Sure if the adults weren't there, they all got along fine - nobody mentioned their political views or argued what they thought of other people. Blaise and Thalia had already agreed that they were never going to make a marriage contract between them as they both viewed each other as honorary family. 

Although, if Blaise's mother wanted him to marry and her uncle was about to marry her off to someone she hated, they made a blood oath that they would marry each other to avoid a terrible fate. Luckily for them, her uncle had to get through her parents first - more specifically her father - as it was the man of the family's job to form the marriage contract in this lovely patriarchal society.

Unfortunately for Thalia, it was one of those days where every pureblood child from the sacred 28 families that were her age, were coming to the manor for dancing lessons. It didn't matter to her uncle if it was her cousin's eleventh birthday. Not even her mother seemed to be able to get her out of this torture. Even though that didn't stop her from trying.