004 | Turned

Making friends here is not easy. Not only for being the new one, but also because everyone seems not to want to approach me. Everyone else is eluding my hand waves, occasionally rolling their eyes or glaring at me, and always slamming the door behind them as I reach for it to say hello.

There's something about this area that makes me want to leave and go back to my previous hometown, but I know it's impossible. Even though everyone is hostile towards me, I'll have to deal with this matter. Plus, I'm sure that they'll become friendlier once I get to know them better.

***

After days of sufference, forced smiles and failed attempts to make friends, I've finally been given the key to a better social life: an invitation to the annual Halloween party which is going to take place at the local town hall. I've longed for a chance like this since moving here, and now here it is.

I pick my best costume, which consists of a cute laced black dress, a black wig and a nice black pointed hat, wear it and then leave my house to head to the town hall. As I walk down the street, I notice a growing crowd around me, which makes me suspicious.

I try to make my way through the crowd to reach the entrance, but it's easier said than done as I find dozens of glaring eyes glued on me. Needless to say, my neighbors are being anything but nice once again. But, this time, there's something scarier in their looks.

I look around, hoping to find a friendly face among all those deadly gazes, but to no avail. I try to make a step back, only to realize that a man and a woman, perhaps in their thirties, are slowly approaching me.

I'm trapped. There's nothing more I can do, let even run away. They open their mouth, revealing fangs in their magnificence. I close my eyes for a second, believing it's all a nightmare, but I reopen them to find out that the two people's eyes have since turned red and their fangs are dangerously close to my neck.

Realizing that I may die sooner or later, I scream at the top of my lungs, but my voice is broken. No-one is going to save me, I know my time is definitely up.

I wish I'd never accepted the invitation to that party.

***

I wake up and the first thing I look for is a mirror. As I find it, I carefully study my facial expression. My eyes are still the same, and so is my nose, but the same can't be said about my complexion: it used to be bright and luminous, now it's pale, almost deadly.

As I brush my teeth, I accidentally break my toothbrush, after which I realize that my fangs got sharper. Also, there seems to be no serious explanation to why I'm craving for blood.

I might've been turned.

[500 words]

This is a short story I wrote for the contest held by WattVampires for the Halloween Vault