020 | The Rookie

Everyone knows me because I'm the most famous, and perhaps the best, creature hunter in town. Werewolves, vampires, witches, ghosts and other deadly beings are never safe with me around. However, Halloween is the period when I'm the most active: they're always a little uncautious, never realizing that I'm after them.

This year is no exception: wherever there's a little mayhem, I'm there, ready to defy those monsters and defeat them. Unlike the previous years, however, I won't be alone. The Monster Hunting Organization (MHO) decided to assign me a partner, a rookie to whom I have to teach my best skills.

Her name is Dawn; in spite of it, she isn't exactly a morning person. Instead, she loves night life, exactly like me. To be a perfect monster hunter, you have to get used with working at night, even under the most dangerous circumstances.

She seemed to understand this concept perfectly during our first training missions together, much to my delight. Therefore, I'm not so worried, especially because I know that she has potential.

***

We're walking down the streets, scanning every shop and telephone box in search of deadly creatures gone berserk, mostly because of an excessive consumption of candy - it tends to be very dangerous for them, especially for zombies.

Strangely, we haven't found many as of now, save for a couple of skeletons who attempted to eat chocolates from a convenience store and a ghost who was stealing gold from the jewelry shop. "Too little," comments Dawn, who openly admits that she'd like a little bit more action.

She laughs under her breath as we both head towards the cemetery, where monsters tend to reunite on Hallow's Eve. The tombstones are mostly empty, but I hear a noise coming from one of them, next to a large oak. As we approach it, we notice that the tomb is open.

"Have you got an idea of what's going on, Dawn?" I ask, but she stares at me intensely without giving me an answer, frowning and quivering her lips instead. We stand by the grave, staring at each other for a seemingly endless time.

Then, she smirks. "You don't know what's happening, Caleb?" she replies, shooting a glare at me and confusing me even further. She removes her thick glasses and her black wig, revealing long, wavy red hair and huge purple eyes.

"Are you a witch or what?" I end up saying, questioning her motives and realizing that she's been lying to me all this time. She doesn't answer again, laughing loud as she is about to disappear into the grave.

"I have a party to attend right now, sweetheart. See you!" She is about to close the entrance behind her, but I somehow manage to get inside the tomb. I won't let her get away so easily. She'll have to fight me first.

[476 words]

This is a story I wrote for the contest by Urban-fantasy for Halloween Vault.