017 | Dancing with the Monster

When I was invited to the annual Halloween ball, I thought it'd be the most grand event that has ever been organized in town. Clearly, my expectations have been followed: everyone I know has been invited. Hopefully, someone will notice me and invite me for a dance.

As I enter the grand hall where the event is held, I recognize all my friends. The only person I'm not setting my sight on, however, is him. With dazzling looks and excellent manners, he's exactly like Prince Charming, with the difference that he's not as popular and famous. Still, he's not here. I'd give all my life to see him here, asking me to dance with him.

With everyone busy dancing, I look around, hoping that he'll come soon. My attention is caught by a huge mirror at the end of the hall. As I look at it, checking my dress and make-up, it spreads a strange light. It's so strong and blinding that I make three steps back, before getting back to the center of the huge room.

Suddenly, I hear strange groans and howls coming from every corner of the hall. I barely refrain from screaming and jumping back, not wanting to sound scared; the truth, however, is that I am. There's something incomprehensible about the mess around me, but I suspect it might involve monsters.

Indeed, I hear growls at every corner, while guests start running out of the building, but to no avail. Deadly creatures are appearing out of nowhere, invading the room and scaring everyone to death. There's no way I can run away. If I have to die, I have to accept my fate.

As I look around, we realize that the lights are going off and the room no longer looks like a grand hall but more like a cave whose walls might disintegrate in a matter of seconds. The only source of light - if I can define it that way - consists of some small fires here and there; I'm worried that they might destroy everything before I even notice.

Monsters are still here, surrounding me, whereas there seems to be no trace of the other guests from the ball. Where on Earth am I? What is going on? And, most importantly, who are these monsters and what do they want from me?

One of them approaches me, grabbing my left arm and holding it tighter and tighter every time I try to let go of his grab. I know, I shouldn't be complaining as much as trying to run away, but it's such an impossible task that I wonder whether I'm bound to die here.

He says, "If you want to go back home, you have to do what I say." I hesitate, unsure of what he means. He might be capable of anything, to be truly honest. He reprises talking, "There is a portal that will lead you back home. However, it can only be activated in one way: you have to dance with me."

I shiver, disgusted by the idea of having to dance with such an abhorrent creature. He grins, making me even more uneasy. "If you refuse to do so, however, I'm going to eat you. Your choice."

I don't want to do this, but I won't let my loved ones mourn me because I don't want to make such a sacrifice. Therefore, I dance with the monster in spite of my diffidence, believing that he won't keep his promise.

Instead, after half an hour of torture, the portal is finally open.

I can go back home.

[598 words]

This is a short story for the contest by retold for Halloween Vault.