014 | Unturned

I'm on the run, trying to find a way to get away from the villagers who are chasing after me with pitchforks and pistols. They're really keen to kill me, believing I'm just a wolf who attacked their cattles and unaware that I can't revert to my human form.

I really need to find who made such a mess. I swear, they'll pay for that, regardless of who they are and what led them to do such an outrageous act. Messing with a werewolf is definitely one of the worst things someone might do. While being a wolf has its perks, I'd like to be a human again, sleeping in my own bed.

As I run into the woods, I try not to think of anything but my safety. I mean, if there's something that must be taken into account, it's that there might be furious villagers or hunters ready to kill me or, even worse, members of other packs who won't hesitate to fight me till I die.

The more I run, the more my thoughts catch up on me. I don't want to die, especially now that I can't fight as I'd like to. The only thing I could do is howling and biting, and that unfortunately isn't enough to contrast the hunters' pistols or the farmers' pitchforks.

Suddenly, I hear someone stroking my neck. I don't turn back, fearing that it might be an angry villager, ready to strangle me so that I lose my senses and they can stab me more easily. Though, temptation gets the best of me and I turn back.

A young woman with ginger hair, wearing a black cloak and a necklace with an eye on it, is holding a wand. She recits, "Shall he not be a wolf, but a human."

[300 words]

This is a short story written for the contest by werewolf for Halloween Vault.