Chapter 4

“Every time I walk up this hill, it feels like the trail gets longer and longer,” Penny said, yawning.

“Oh, and by the way, boys,” Tori said, making the five boys turn their heads tiredly in her direction. “We’re going canoeing at eleven, would you like to join?”

“Eleven? What do we do in the time in between?” Harry asked, confused. It was still eight o’clock, an hour since they had woken up.

“Sleep, I guess,” Jenny said, shrugging. “At least that’s what Penny does.”

“Shut up,” Penny said, punching Jenny’s shoulder. Jenny rubbed her shoulder and glared at her friend. She rolled her eyes and continued walking.

“Just stating the obvious, sleepy head,” Jenny said sassily.

“Shut up, sassy pants,” Penny warned.

“Girls, girls. Stop arguing! Isn’t camp supposed to be about making friends and getting even closer with the friends you’ve made?” Liam asked, running his hands through his hair. Jenny and Penny looked down at their feet as they walked, feeling ashamed. They muttered quick apologies and sprinted up the hill, red faced.

“That was deep, Liam,” Celine said, smiling at the British boy. He smiled to himself, happy with what he’d done. “They’re always arguing. Hopefully that will set them straight. Are you going to sleep?”

“Nah, I’m wide awake,” he answered, as they parted ways to get to their cabins. Louis had a lot on his mind that he wanted to talk to his mates about, so he decided to pull them all into one cabin. He went over to the closest cabin – which happened to be cabin three, Niall’s cabin – and grabbed him roughly by the collar before he could enter through the doorway.

“Oi! Lou, what’s the deal?” he said in an angry, Irish accent.

“Get the rest of the lads, something’s going on,” Louis whispered, and disappeared back into cabin two. Niall stood there, confused, but later did as Louis said. He walked over to cabin four and flicked Zayn in the head until his eyelids fluttered open, an angered expression on his face.

“Meet us in Lou’s cabin, he’s got something to tell us,” Niall simply said, knowing Zayn would follow the orders. The darker skinned boy nodded and Niall left the cabin, sprinting off to cabin five, where Harry was busy on his iPhone, probably on Twitter or Instagram. “Harry, come to Lou’s cabin. He says something’s going on.”

“Got it,” Harry said, stashing his phone in the pocket of his sweats before walking out of the cabin with Niall.

Lastly, Niall went off to cabin one to find Liam, white faced and worried. “Something wrong, Li?”

“The fans think we’re dead,” he said, handing his black iPhone to the Iris boy. Niall picked it up and read the article, titled, “One Direction: Dead Direction?”

The last that was heard of the five boys was a week ago when they showed up for an interview, but weren’t seen leaving the building. Management has not released details on this topic, but fans have already believed for the boys to be dead. None of them have been on Twitter, and no one has heard of their whereabouts. “We’re praying that they’re alright,” a fan answered when asked about the topic. “Maybe they’re just in hiding, or something…

Niall gave the phone back to Liam, who looked upset. He sat next to him and gave him a reassuring side-hug, not completely sure why he was so upset.

“Hey, we’re alive, aren’t we?” Niall said, poking Liam’s cheek to make sure. “Yeah, we’re alive.”