Chapter 11

A/N: I'm so sorry, this isn't my best :( I have been so busy with school and all, I wanted to update today just to get something out. I wanted this chapter to be much more detailed and longer, but every time I write something that's like 6 pages on Microsoft Word, it's only 2 or 3 on Wattpad... This one's short, but I guess action-packed. I'm sooooo sorry >.<

“Alright,” Penny said, pacing in front of the small crowd of thirteen and fourteen year old girls and boys, as they sat on the rough sand that led to the lake. Kyle found one of the kids in his cabin whispering to another, and quickly snapped his fingers to get the child’s attention. The boy turned around, confused, until he found Kyle pressing a finger to his lips, signaling for him to be quiet. Scowling, the boy turned around. “You guys know the rules, right? Anyone new to camp this year?”

No one raised their hands. Each and every camper from both Zayn and Penny’s cabins had been to the camp before at least once, and knew the rules for lakeside like the back of their hand. They stood up, some of the boys stripping off their shirts and jumping into the lake, and insecure girls hugging their arms around their stomachs while refusing to jump in with their swimsuits.

“Do we have to go in?” Zayn inquired, as Kyle turned around. He shrugged, not exactly knowing the answer.

“If a kid’s drowning, yeah,” Kyle answered, pulling off his shirt. “We usually have a lifeguard here, but I guess he’s sick or something.”

“Oh,” Zayn said, a bit disappointed. He didn’t want to swim that day, because he knew he would have to wear a life jacket in front of his campers, which he didn’t want to do. Penny, however, quickly disposed of her shorts and shirt, leaving her in her blue bikini. Zayn snapped himself into reality after looking at her for a few seconds, before pulling off his shirt as well and sitting at the edge of the dock, keeping a good grip onto the edge in case one of his campers pushed him in as a joke.

“You alright, Zayn?” he heard Penny ask, sitting next to him. She put her feet in the water just like he did, and splashed a few times. “You look… I don’t know, mad? Are you mad at me?”

“No,” he answered, staring down at the water. He leaned in and whispered in her ear, “I just don’t want the kids to see me in a life jacket, it’s kind of… embarrassing, I guess.”

Penny nodded, placing her hand over his. His knuckles were white from gripping the dock so hard, and she noticed. She carefully pried his fingers off the white boards of the dock and held his hand in hers, tracing her fingers on his palm and feeling the creases in his skin until he relaxed.

A sudden call stopped them both.

“PENNY! ZAYN! THE CANOE TIPPED OVER!” one of the girls chanted, sprinting over to them. They both quickly scrambled to get up and gazed over the lake water until they set their sights upon the canoe, which was flipped over.

“You stay here and pull them up when I bring them over, got it?” Penny asked Zayn, but he didn’t even have a chance to reply when she jumped into the murky water, doggy paddling towards the canoe. She flipped it back over and linked her arms under one of the kids’, pulling him towards the dock, where Zayn pulled him up and set him down.

“You alright?” Zayn asked him. The boy nodded, but his face was a few shades lighter than its normal color. “I’ll take you to the office later, got it?”

The boy nodded again. Zayn turned his attention to the water. He found the other kid swimming back to the dock just fine, but no sign of Penny. His heard rate quickened and he scanned the water again, finding no sign of her.

“Where’s Penny!?” he asked, worried. The girl shrugged as she pulled herself out of the water. Before he could think, Zayn jumped into the water, not caring about the difficulty to swim. He ducked his head into the water and opened his eyes, searching for the girl. He found her struggling to swim back up from the bottom, furiously kicking the bottom of the lake to push herself up. Zayn swam towards her, linking his arms under hers like he’d seen her do to the camper before, and swimming up towards the dock.

He began losing breath and gave up, pushing Penny to the surface. As he watched her blue bikini fade into the distance, his vision began turning black…

As soon as Penny broke to the surface, she took in a deep breath of air and held onto the dock. The kids were staring at her, concerned, but she waved them off as they came to help her out.

“Thanks, Za-“ she turned around to thank him, when he found him not there. Taking in a deep breath once more, she dove under the water and swam to the bottom, where she found him, his eyes closed, slowly sinking to the bottom.

Her heart wrenched as she linked her arms under his, pulling him up with all the strength she had and swimming back to the dock. As soon as she broke to the surface again, she had the kids pull Zayn up and then climbed up herself.

“EVERYONE TO SHORE, NOW!” she shouted, and the kids obeyed her command. The teenagers either swam or sprinted to the sand, leaving her alone with the unconscious Zayn on the dock. “Zayn, wake up.”

No response.

“Zayn, please,” she begged, tears springing to her eyes. She nudged his arm, but his body only shook from the motion she had caused. She full on sobbed, then, and remembered what Jenny had told her to do. Putting either hand on his chest, she tipped his head back so that his lips were parted. She pushed three times on his chest and leaned in, pressing her lips to his as she gave him mouth to mouth resuscitation.

She did that a few times, and still no response.

Crying, she gave up and put her head on his bare chest as she cried, letting the sobs fill the silence of the wilderness.

Suddenly, she felt an arm wrap around her waist, and a slight coughing. Looking up, she found Zayn with his head turned away as he coughed up the water that had been in his lungs. The tears then rolling down her cheeks in happiness, she sat up and pulled him up also, a slight smile on his face.

“Was I dreaming… Or were you kissing me just now?” he asked, his eyes like slits as he smiled a weak smile.

Penny laughed and leaned in, kissing his lips.

“No more lakeside for us, huh?”

A/N: Guess I didn't leave any time for a cliff hanger, huh? ;) Anyways, I apologize again for such a crappy chapter... It wasn't meant to be this way, I promise. I don't expect any votes and all for this chapter, but it would be great if you guys did... And keep the comments rolling, I love listening to your feedback, whether it's good or bad. Yeah, you can judge me, I don't care :D Even give me ideas, that would be great!

Much Love,

Tal xx