Chapter 9

A/N: I'm not fond of this chapter >.< I have an idea of what will happen in this story, but I just can't find a place to put the idea! I promise it will get better... Please don't hate me ;(

“Ah, no! Jacob, put the glue down,” Liam exclaimed, seeing the eight year old dumping the thick paste on his cabin mate’s head. The eight year old merely rolled his eyes at Liam, who quickly walked over to the scene and grabbed the paste out of his hands. He grabbed Leo’s hand - the boy with the paste on his head – and reached for Jacob’s. The culprit, however, had raced down the hill, the top of which the arts and crafts area stood. Liam turned back and looked at Celine, who was helping her campers with modeling clay.

“Devin!” Liam called, and his fellow CIT turned around. He was about seventeen years old. “I’m taking Jacob and Leo down to the office, watch the campers for me?”

Devin nodded, and Liam quickly positioned Leo on his back before running down the hill after Jacob, who was already far away. He wasn’t fast enough for Liam, though, who quickly got to him and grabbed his hand. He placed Leo on the ground and grabbed his hand as well, before walking down the trail towards the office. Jacob was squirming in Liam’s grip, and hit his arm.

“Keep your hands to yourself, Jacob,” Liam commanded, but the boy didn’t listen. Liam sighed and threw him over his shoulder, carrying him fireman style while still holding Leo’s hand with his free one. They walked past the lake, where the fifteen and sixteen year old boys and girls were having lakeside. Harry and his CIT, Mike, were in one canoe, splashing Kate and her CIT, Maura, who were in another canoe.

Liam took notice of the sweat that was building up on his lower back, slowly drenching his counselor t-shirt. Making a short decision to hop in the lake later on, he continued walking down the trail. Next to the lake was a massive, grassy field, where two soccer goals were set up. The eleven and twelve year old boys and girls were having a soccer match with their counselors, Niall and Tori. Niall stood goalie with his CIT, Alex, as defense. Tori’s CIT, Laura, quickly made her way around Alex and passed the ball to one of her campers, who quickly scored on Niall.

Jacob pounded on Liam’s back with his fists and kicked his chest with the toe of his shoes, but Liam merely ignored him as they passed the field. Off in the distance was the campfire, where the thirteen and fourteen year old girls and boys were learning about different kinds of leaves. Zayn was passing around a poisonous one in a small plastic bag; while Penny was carefully keeping watch to make sure the children didn’t open the bag and hurt themselves. Kyle, Zayn’s fellow CIT, was scolding one of his campers and Megan, Penny’s CIT, was applying some sort of cream to one of her campers.

Liam finally got to the stairs that led to the mess hall, which was also connected to the office. He walked up the stairs with Jacob still on his back until he arrived in the mess hall, where the ten year old boys and girls were learning how to bake cookies. Louis was handing a cup of flour to his CIT, Marc. Jenny was helping her campers with pouring the right amount of chocolate chips in the dough, and Bella, her CIT, was stirring.

Once Liam got to the office, he handed Jacob to the owner of the camp, Mr. Davies, and walked off to the bathrooms to help wash off the glue from Leo’s head.

“Alright, Leo,” Liam said, kneeling in front of him. “I need to wash the paste out of your hair now, got it? You need to put your head in the sink.”

“You talk funny,” Leo pointed out. Liam laughed, considering Leo was American and probably no idea where Great Britain was in the first place.

“I know,” Liam replied, lifting the eight year old up and placing him on the step stool in front of the sink. Leo did as told and put his head under the faucet. Liam started scrubbing out the paste from Leo’s blonde hair with soap, but it wasn’t working out. He sighed and bit his lip in frustration, before trying again.

“Need some help?” Celine asked, making Liam jump. She giggled and apologized for scaring him, before stepping in to scrub the paste out of Leo’s hair.

“Who’s watching the kids?” Liam asked.

“Devin and Mary,” she replied, speaking of their CITs. Liam wiped his hands on a paper towel and watched Celine finish off washing out Leo’s blonde hair. She grabbed another paper towel and dried his hair as best as she could, before an idea sparked in her head. “Let’s give him a quiff.”

“Like Zayn’s?” Liam asked, and Celine nodded. They spent about five minutes doing the blonde haired boy’s hair before walking him to the office, where a staff member was sent to take him back to the arts and crafts area.

Liam sat on one of the chairs and rubbed the place just below his left ribcage, where Jacob had kicked him numerous times. It was beginning to hurt. He had a strong kick for an eight year old. Celine arrived a short time later with a cup of water for both herself and Liam, handing him a cup.

“That boy Jacob’s a firecracker,” Liam said after thanking Celine and taking a sip of the water. Celine nodded and smiled at him.

“Same as his brother.”

“His brother?”

“Yeah, Maxwell. I dated him once, I think. We were about fourteen,” Celine said, frowning. Liam arched his eyebrows, taking another sip of the water.

“Why’re you frowning?” he asked, setting the cup down and wincing as he bent over. Celine raised an eyebrow at his action, but did not ask questions.

“He didn’t even pay attention to me,” Celine explained. “I broke up with him and explained to him why, but he acted like he didn’t understand.”

Liam snorted, placing a hand to the area Jacob had kicked. Celine stood up and motioned for Liam to follow her, which he did. She walked to the nurse’s station, which she unlocked with a key and turned on the lights. Liam sat down on the cot that was set up inside and watched as she walked over to the cabinet and pulled out an instant icepack, which she crushed and shook until the package was ice cold. She wrapped it in a towel and handed it to Liam, who applied the ice to his wound.

“Is it bruised?” she asked him. Liam shrugged and pulled his shirt up to see. The skin was a bit reddened, but nothing too bad. “It’ll bruise later. Keep the ice on it.”

“I thought Jenny was the doctor,” Liam chuckled.

“My older brother went to medical school when I was thirteen, and I might have read some of the text books,” Celine said, staring down at the ground. “It was both horrifying and amusing at once.”

That made Liam laugh.

~

“Brett?” Harry called, cupping his hands around his mouth to make his voice louder.

“Emily!” Katie hollered, doing the same as Harry. “Where do you think they went? It’s getting a bit dark outside…”

Harry’s eyes widened when he remembered what the fifteen year old boy had been talking about in the cabin the night before. He kept on talking about a girl, but he couldn’t recall the name at the time.

“Emily? Emily Carter?” Harry questioned. Kate stopped and stared at him, confused. She nodded. “Oh.”

He then sprinted towards the lake, knowing what Brett had planned to do. The young, romantic teen had planned on giving his crush a lakeside snack just as the sun set.

“Harry!” Katie called. “Wait!”

“SHH!” Harry replied, as Katie caught up. He hid behind a tree and pulled Katie beside him as he craned his neck to see what was happening on the dock. The brown haired boy had his arm around the blonde haired girl, both of who had their pant legs rolled up and feet in the lake water. Their shoes and socks discarded next to them, and the sunset behind them cast a light-like silhouette around their bodies.

“That’s so cute,” Katie whispered, staring up at them.

“Indeed, it is,” Harry said, putting his arm around Katie’s shoulders, thinking, nice one, Brett.