Eleven

It was like they were in their own little world. I may have added a little commentary, but the two were mainly focused on one another. Sky occasionally glanced at me, but whenever my mom asked a question, he always gave her his full attention. They talked for half an hour. I was glad we didn't need a reservation for Denny's, because I was getting hungrier as I waited for them to finish their conversation.

She asked him about his hobbies, his favorite color, some of his family life. She discussed marriage counseling, and she almost mentioned my suicide attempt, but I got her to shut up with a glare before she could say anything about it. It wasn't a time I paraded around on my back. I had a very weak moment in high school where depression bitch slapped me across the face. I was ready to die, but I didn't do anything because my mom came home early from her business trip. She stopped me before I could do anything, and Johnathon entered our lives again.

I'd been taking antidepressants since then, feeling much better about myself and focused my everything into my poems and short stories, and now project for Dakota. I found ways to make me happy, and I grew as an individual. My mom stopping me was the best thing to ever happen to me. Johnathon was there for me, she was there for me. I never would have been able to achieve my dream if it weren't for my mom. It was another reason why I settled in pain for her, because she put her life on hold to make sure I was okay. In a sense, I felt as though I owed her.

However, I was growing tired of the conversation and was ready to go and eat. I was about to bring it up when my mom actually said something worth listening to. "What caused you to become attracted to my daughter?"

"Honestly, I've always had my eye on your daughter. I find her to be a beautiful individual."

"She is quite attractive," mom agreed.

"No, not in the physical sense, though it is true," he added as he glanced back at me. "It's her personality. She has this aura about her that drew me in. I wanted to get to know her better, but I could never figure out the right moment to. But day after day I would see her in class, and each time I knew my face was lighting up.

"But it was around, I want to say over a week ago that I decided to take a chance. Spencer stood up in front of the entire class and told them about her short stories and poems- And I want to read the one you mentioned in class, and...I don't know. She put herself out there, made herself vulnerable to the class and let us see a side to her I don't think a lot of people realize she kept hidden. It was that vulnerability and risk taking that I admired, so I took a chance to get closer to her, and I'm really glad I did." He turned around in his chair to smile at me. "I'm really glad we got to meet each other."

"Me too," I smiled back. He had no idea. He was sweet and touching with his words. I felt actually wanted and accepted and loved in his presence. It was a feeling I didn't take kindly to in my life, but from him, it was special. If I only had the words to write it out.

Slapping his hands on his knees, Sky stood up and outstretched his hand to me. "We should get going."

"Sounds like a plan," I agreed as I allowed him to help me up.

"Alright, you two have fun," mom said as she ushered us out of the door. "Stay safe and have fun," she whispered to me before shutting the door in my face.

Sky chuckled under his breath as he ran a hand through his hair. "Your mom is nice."

"Yeah, I think so too," I agreed as I followed him to his car. "So, how has your day been?"

"It's been going well. Had to work a little this morning, but you have to do what you need to do in order to pay for school, right?"

"Pay for life," I grumbled. "Everything is so expensive nowadays, and like no one pays anyone enough anymore. Once I graduate, I may need to take up two jobs."