Chapter One: "WHERE THE BLOODY HELL DID YOU GET THAT BAT?!"

"WHO THE BLOODY HELL JUST SET OFF A FIREWORK IN THE OFFICE?!!"

"Oh shit!"

Screams from the joke shop floated into the little apartment upstairs.

Madison and Fred were piled up on the couch with a book and brainstorm notes respectively.

They shared a look.

"Should we check on them?" Madison asked, reluctantly setting her novel down.

"Eh," Fred said, waving it off, his eyes not leaving the paper, "they'll sort it out themselves."

"YOU BETTER RUN JORDAN!"

"WHERE THE BLOODY HELL DID YOU GET THAT BAT?!"

They shared another look.

"If they die, we have to look for more employees," Madison pointed out as she got up from the couch.

"I doubt they'll kill-" Fred was interrupted by Lee's high pitched screech.

Madison looked at Fred with a quirked brow.

Fred groaned. "You're right. Help me up, will you?"

Madison pulled Fred to his feet and let him lead the way as they cautiously walked into the shop.

Instead of closing up the store, Carter was chasing Lee Jordan around the shop with a metal baseball bat. Back in the office, fireworks were still actively fizzling as smoke billowed from the room.

"Oh dear," Madison said as Carter cornered Lee by the Puking Pastels. She took a risk, sneaking up behind Carter and yanking the bat from her hands.

"Hey!" The girl made a grab for the bat, but Madison jumped back.

"No!" Madison shouted, "I'd be insane to give this back to you."

"But I need it," Carter pouted.

"For what?" Fred asked with some authority in his voice. "Pummeling Lee?"

"That was the idea," Carter answered.

"You can't kill each other every time you have a little dispute," Madison said.

"It wasn't a 'little dispute'," Carter retorted angrily, "he blew fireworks up in my face! I could have died!"

"But you didn't," Lee tried, "so isn't that the upside?"

Carter simply glared, silencing Lee.

Madison sighed and rubbed her temples. "Listen, I know you guys don't work well together, but if this doesn't stop, we'll have to figure out other arrangements or avoid putting you guys on the same shift."

Carter and Lee were silent. They both avoided eye contact with Fred and Madison as they shifted around like children being scolded by their parents.

"Go ahead and go home," Fred said, "we'll close up."

Lee and Carter left silently, the bell tinkling on their way out. Madison looked around at the mess the pair left behind while fighting. They knocked down the love potion display and set off a couple dungbombs.

"Where did she get the bat?" Fred asked as he pulled out his wand, waving it over the mess.

Madison chuckled. "I have no idea."

Madison dropped the bat behind the corner before dropping into a nearby chair. She massaged her temples, trying to chase away the impending stress headache.