Chapter Nine: Hogsmeade

"Wake up," Mallory deadpanned.
   "Why?"
   "Because today is a big day!" Blaire said cheerfully as Carter pulled back the blinds.
   "Feels like a normal Saturday," Madison grumbles before burying her head beneath a pillow. Carter snatches it away.
   "Uh-yes-yes," Blaire stutters, "but this is our first Hogsmeade weekend this year!"
   Madison got out of bed and notices Blaire's strained expression. Carter stood beside her, bouncing anxiously on her heels.
   "You guys are hiding something," Madison accuses with a knowing smile.
   "No we aren't!" Blaire shouts defensively.
   Madison shakes her head and smirks.
   "Whatever you say," Madison says before slipping into the bathroom with her stuff.
   As soon as she closes the door, Blaire whips out her wand and murmurs a silencing charm over the door.
   "We only have a few minutes," Blaire said as she, Carter, and Mallory gathered, "I think she's onto us."
   Mallory slaps her forehead and groans. "Of course she's onto us when you act like that. You have to treat this day like any other or it will completely ruin the surprise."
   "Well how much do you think she suspects?" Carter asks.
   "Well unless she has completely forgotten that her birthday is Tuesday then-"
   The lock in the bathroom handle rattles and the girls all jump away from one another. Madison smirks.
   "I'm going to find out what you're hiding sooner or later," Madison reminds them, "you guys can't keep secrets for too long around me."
   "We're not hiding anything," Blaire replies.
   Madison shrugs. "Whatever you say."
   Madison grabs her coat, scarf, and gloves before walking out of the dorm.
   As soon as the door clicks shut, Madison could hear her friends begin whispering to one another. She shakes her head and continues into the common room. The room is abuzz with activity as third years sit chattering excitedly about their first trip to Hogsmeade.
   There was a small group of third years crowded around Cedric's portrait.
   "Is it true that there's a monster in the Shrieking Shack?" a third year girl asks with wide eyes.
   "No no no," Cedric said with a comforting smile, "there's nothing scary in Hogsmeade. Just avoid the Hog's Head and you'll be fine."
   "What's your favorite place in Hogsmeade to visit?" asks a boy with shaggy blond hair.
   "Honeydukes is pretty great," Cedric answers, "I used to buy their Licorice Wands in bulk. Course, I don't get out there much anymore."
   There was a falter in Cedric's brilliant smile. Just a twinge of sadness. Regret. Then it disappeared just as quickly as it appeared and he flashed them another smile. But Madison can see through it.
   "But you guys might wanna get going if you wanna get breakfast before the trip," Cedric told the third years.
   "Alright. Thanks Cedric," the third year girl said.
   "Thanks Cedric!" The rest chimed in.
   "Anytime," Cedric said, waving them off, "have fun."
   When Madison approached, Cedric lit up with a bright smile.
   "Morning," he says as she takes her usual seat.
   "Good morning," she said with a matching smile,
   "pretty popular this morning."
   "What? Oh them," Cedric said, nodding to the third years. "Yeah. I've been getting a lot of questions from some lower years."
   "Oh yeah? What kind of questions?"
   "Loads of questions about Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, tips for classes, good hideouts, and stuff like that," Cedric replies, counting them off on his fingers.
   "Well you're a regular 'How To' guide for surviving Hogwarts now, aren't you?" Madison asks with a laugh.
   "Yeah," Cedric said quietly, avoiding Madison's eyes, "I suppose I am."
   That's when she saw it. The little dark glint in his eye. The falter in his smile.
   "Hey Ced. Are you okay?" Madison asks.
   Cedric didn't answer right away.
   "Ced?"
   "I'm fine," Cedric said quietly, looking up to meet Madison's eye. "I'm all good."
   He gives her a smile, but it's forced.
   Madison doesn't buy it.
   "Okay," she said quietly, standing up and gathering her things. "Well I'm gonna go. I'll talk to you when I get back."
   "Have fun," Cedric said, waving at her as she left.
   Madison makes her way into the Great Hall for breakfast. Already sitting at the table, awaiting her arrival, is her trusty owl.
   "Hey Fizz," Madison said, taking the letter from his beak.
   As she opened the letter, Fizz nibbled on bread crusts.
   Inside the envelope was a folded sheet of parchment. At the top read, "HOGSMEADE PERMISSION FORM"
   Madison had mailed the letter to her parents a week ago for their signature. She knew she wasn't asking much. Just a simple signature, yet here she was, holding an unsigned permission form.
   Her heart sinks.
   Well there goes her Hogsmeade weekend. Or any Hogsmeade weekend for that matter.
   Madison stands up and gathers her things. She brushes away the stray tears that fall down her cheeks. Maybe she's overreacting, but it wasn't like she asked for a tremendous favor. Why can't her family just throw her a line? They don't have to feed or clothe her or care for her all summer. She finds her own way. She is no longer a burden to them and they can't do this one little task.
   She re-enters her dormitory to find her friends getting ready to leave.
   "You forget something?" Mallory asks as Madison walks through the room.
   "No," Madison replies quietly as she gathers her books.
   "Are you seriously taking homework to Hogsmeade? Because I am not-"
   "I'm not going to Hogsmeade," Madison interrupts Mallory.
   "What?!" her friends explodes.
   "I'm not going."
   "But-but why?" Blaire asks.
   "Too much homework," Madison said. "I'm going to the library."
   Madison rushes out of the dormitory.
   The three girls all share a look.
   "What the bloody hell just happened?" Mallory asks.
   "I have no idea," Blaire said, dropping down on the bed. She rakes her hands through her hair. "Now what are we supposed to do?"
   "Not much we can do," Mallory admits, "she seemed pretty worked up about something."
   "But what could have happened?" Blaire asks, "she's been gone ten minutes!"
   Carter notices a folded piece of parchment laying on the ground. She picks it up and unfolds the crinkled paper.
   "Guys," Carter said, holding up the paper, "I think I know what happened."
   Mallory and Blaire look over the unsigned form.
   "Oh blimey. We're screwed," Mallory said.
   "Maybe not," Carter said with a mischievous smile. "I have an idea."