Chapter Eleven: Regrets and Vows

"You have to tell her, ya know?"
     "I know, Georgie. Trust me," Fred said with a sigh, as he stocks the Puking Pastels.
     "Well, when are you going to? The longer you wait, the more upset she could be," George replies from his place behind the counter.
     "I don't wanna tell her yet."
     "Why not?"
     "Well I'd like Madison to be with me when I do, but I also don't want Mum to try to talk us out of it. We're young, I understand that, but with everything happening right now. I don't want something terrible to happen and lose my chance. And I love her. I love her so much. She's everything I want in a partner and a best friend. I can't imagine a future without her."
      "Then tell her that. Exactly that," George replies, moving a box to a corner with a wave of his wand, "she's always liked Madison after all. I doubt she'd have a problem with your choice."
      "Yes, but this is Mum after all. And she's been through an awful lot lately with Dad's attack last year. And she didn't even want Ron and Ginny returning to Hogwarts. I just-" Fred hesitates, his hand filled with candies floats above the bin.
      "Just what?" George presses.
      "Just don't want her to think she's losing anyone else. Not now or ever."
      George nods knowingly.
       The twins finish up and walk up to the flat to turn in for the night.
      Suddenly there is a snap in the room as a woman appears in the flat.
      "Speak of the devil."

☆☆☆☆

      Ruffles are ugly.
      Absolutely hideous.
      Actually, no.
      Ruffles are ugly on Madison.
      Absolutely hideous.
      In front of the mirror stood Madison, rubbing her hands down the short black dress with a low neckline and with a large, single ruffle falling down her shoulders and resting on her breasts.
      "Stop stressing," Carter comments, sidling up beside Madison in the view of the mirror.
      Carter adorns a deep red fit and flair that stops abruptly at the knee. The skirt swishes as she steps and the short sleeve top flatters her slight frame.
      "You look lovely," Carter said in an attempt to assure her.
      "Thank you," Madison mutters quietly as she lightly tugs the skirt down.
      "Should we be going?" Carter asks as she swivels to grab her purse from her bed.
      "Yes we should," Madison responds, turning away from the mirror.
      Tonight is the ever dreaded, Slughorn Christmas Party. It's not any harsh feelings against Slughorn that cause her to dread the party, it's just been difficult lately. Quidditch practice is hellish. Classes aren't exactly fantastic. And then her friendship with Cedric feels as though it's slipping away. All because of a ring. But Madison can't stop thinking about it. His shrewd facial expression. The bite of his words. His notable absence from his portrait. All of it. She lost him all over again.

☆☆☆☆

     The Hufflepuff Common Room was empty and chill. The hearth glowed with the dying embers of it's recent fire. In the corner, Cedric sat in his portrait, his leg crossed over his lap as he rested. Madison approached quietly and sat in the cushiony chair. She glanced up at the portrait eagerly, hoping he'd awake soon.
     "It's rude to stare, you know?" A voice said sleepily above Madison.
     She looked up to see Cedric looking down with sleepy eyes.
     "I didn't know when you would wake up," Madison responded.
     "I know. It's alright," he replied with a stretch before sitting up straight in his chair, "what's wrong?"
     "What do you mean?"
     "Well, obviously something is happening if it's three in the morning," he said, pointing to the clock on the mantle, "and you're here instead of in bed."
     She stayed silent for a moment. He could always read her like a book. It's one of the things she misses about him the most. She never has to say she is upset. He just knows.
     "I mean, there's nothing wrong, per say," Madison replied, fiddling with a loose thread on her shirt.
     "But something is happening?"
     "Yes."
     "Well don't leave me hanging, what is it?"
     Silently, Madison slid the engagement ring from her finger and held it up to the portrait. At first, Cedric didn't say anything. He didn't need to. His darkened and glassy eyes said it all.
     "Well?" Madison asked, sliding the ring back on her finger, "aren't you going to say something?"
     His face hardened.
     "What am I supposed to say?" He spat, "am I supposed to say 'congratulations' when the only feelings I have right now are regret?"
     "Regret?"
     "Yes, regret. Regret that I joined the tournament. Regret that I didn't make things happen with us sooner. Regret that I can't move on past this. Move past seventeen years old. Move past school. Move forward with my life. The life I was meant to have."
      "I thought you were okay with me and Fred-"
      "I was!" Cedric burst.
      Madison jumped. She felt her eyes grow heavy with tears.
     "I am," Cedric said more quietly, "it's just too much. Right now. Everyone's moving on. And where am I?"
     "Cedric, I-"
     "No," he interrupted, picking himself up from his chair, "not tonight."
     Cedric left his portrait.
     The Hufflepuff Common Room was dark and chill. The embers from the hearth had died completely. And the only sounds that filled the room, were quiet sniffles.