Chapter Six: "Signed, Fred and George."

“But I don't want to go!”

  “You'll live so get up and get ready before you miss breakfast.”

  Mallory groaned before pulling herself out of bed.

  “Fine,” she said to Blaire, “but I'm only getting up because I want a croissant.”

  “If that’s your motivation, then so be it,” Blaire replied as she grabbed her bag.

  “I'm heading down to breakfast,” she announced before leaving the dormitory.

  Madison grabbed her glasses and smoothed out her hair, which was a mess of dark curls.

  “Well this is as good as it's gonna get,” she said before grabbing her school bag.

  “Be good, Dog,” Madison said, giving her miniature Swedish Short Snout dragon a little petting. Dog the Dragon chirped happily and spit a few sparks.

  She had received the dragon as a gift during her first year. Cedric had given it to her after his first task in the Triwizard Tournament. She had so lovingly named the dragon, “Dog”, much to the bewilderment of her friends.

  When she walked out of her dormitory, she saw Cedric relaxing in his portrait with his legs resting on an ottoman while he thumbed through a large book.

  She plopped into her usual seat nestled by the fire.

  “Good book?” She asked.

  “Ah!” Cedric said, jumping a foot high in his seat.

  “Are you trying to give me a heart attack?” he asked, looking down at her with a hand over his heart.

  “Not my original intention, but shit happens,” Madison answered, shifting in her seat.

  “So how was your summer?” Cedric asked.

  “Pretty good, actually. Only had to put out a few fires.”

  “How many is ‘a few’ exactly?”

  “Gotta be honest. I lost count after the second week working in the shop.”

  “Wow. Seems like those two kept you pretty busy,” Cedric said with a smirk.

  “Never a dull moment with those two,” Madison said with a fond smile. They might have kept her on her toes, but she wouldn't trade it for the world.

  “In that case, how's Fred?” Cedric was grinning from ear to ear.

  “He's great,” Madison said with a grin wider than Cedric's, if that was even possible.

  “Is he treating you well?”

  “Sure is.”

  “Well glad to hear it,” Cedric said, propping his legs back up and pulling his book back out. “If I ever found out he wasn't, then I can assure you that he would be in for a rude awakening.”

  “Cedric, no offense, but you're a portrait. What could you possibly do?”

  “I have my ways.” Cedric smirked. He checked the clock on the back wall of his portrait. “Might wanna hurry if you wanna make breakfast.”

  “You're right,” she said, gathering up her books, “see you.”

  “See you.”

☆☆☆☆

  When Madison arrived at the breakfast table, she saw one person missing from the group.

  “Where's Audrey?” She asked before sitting down in her usual seat at the Hufflepuff table.