Chapter Four: "Last Time"

“Can I fake sick?”

  “No. If I'm going, then so are you.”

  “But I don't wanna,” Fred whined with a pout. George matched his pout. “Can we just stay here?”

  “No,” Madison answered as she grabbed her bag, “you guys can't bail on visiting your own family.”

  She looked between both twins.

  “Is there a reason you guys don't want to go?” Madison said before quickly adding, “A good one.”

  The twins were silent for a while.

  “Is it Fleur?” Madison asked, already suspicious of their answer.

  “Maybe,” George answered quietly.

  “Thought so.”

  Madison couldn't very well blame the twins for wanting to avoid Fleur. Ever since her engagement to Bill, the entire family has found her pretty miserable to be around. At first, Madison had been excited to see Fleur. She hadn't seen her in person since the end of her fourth year, but they had kept in close contact with letters. Well as close in contact as could be with Umbitch ruling the school.

  Quickly, Madison saw everyone's discomfort around the woman. She spoke quickly in a thick French accent that was often hard to understand. Fleur had also fallen into a bad habit of making rude comments. Perhaps she didn't realize how rude they were, but it became a little difficult to keep everyone in check.

  The only reason that Madison didn't turn against Fleur like the rest was because she reminded Madison of a different time. She reminds Madison of a time before the war. She reminds Madison of a time when Cedric was more than paint on a wall. Fleur never hurt Madison to deserve her hate.

  Madison loves her life now. She truly does. She has an amazing boyfriend that she loves very much. She has his twin for a best friend and many things to be grateful for. But is it wrong for her to want memories? Memories of a simpler time?

  “I know you guys aren't exactly a fan,” Madison continued, “but you need to be happy for Bill. If the roles were reversed, then Bill would be incredibly happy for the both of you.”

  The boys remained silent as they looked down at their feet.

  “If she says anything, then just nod, excuse yourself, and go cool off before saying anything to cause a dispute. Please?”

  The twins shared a look.

  “Okay,” Fred agreed. George nodded in agreement.

  “Awesome,” Madison beamed. “This'll be great. Trust me.”

☆☆☆☆

  It was not great.

  Madison and the twins had apparated to the Burrow and had barely been there five minutes before Madison found herself wrapped up in wedding plans. Naturally Fred and George ditched her.

  “I'm not really a planner,” Fred had said after Madison suggested he should stay, in a desperate attempt to not have to endure Fleur for an evening. Madison could only handle her in small doses.

  “We prefer to enjoy,” George had added, throwing himself out it the picture all together.

  “Well we do not need zem,” Fleur said in her thick French accent, flashing a bright smile. “We can do zis togezzer.”

  “Awesome,” Madison said through clenched teeth as she settled down for a night of lace, tulle, and flowers.

☆☆☆☆