Chapter 1

"Let me see her." Windstar growled to Raintuft, an impatient and protective tone to her voice. Raintuft seemed rather panicked. She dipped her head and nodded timidly, stepping to the side.

Cherrykit had looked up at her mother, sighing and feeling still somewhat pained. Windstar smiled weakly, some tears falling from her eyes.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." She cried, digging her muzzle into Cherrykit's shoulder. "It's hard enough dealing with Gravelkit. I deserved to lose a life from that thing."

Cherrykit looked sad, she had never ever seen her mother in that much distress and pain. She closed her eyes.

"No. I should of lost two lives. My brother didn't deserve to die either. After that fox left, more foxes came. I'm so glad you were at safety at that point."

Cherrykit looked confused, but Raintuft pushed Windstar back slightly.

"Her balance might be a bit funny. The fox ripped off half her tail. It's healing well, but theres going to be a deep scar near there developing somewhere. I'm also afraid to say that she's gone half-blind. She'll never be able to become a warrior with half-sight and funky balance." Raintuft said, looking down.

Windstar sighed. "You did your best, Raintuft. Although it may of seemed like I was angry at you when I came in, I have to thank you so much. Without you, Cherrykit wouldn't be here."

Cherrykit felt horror jolt in her body as she heard the words, 'Never be able to become a warrior'. She felt her eyes widening.

"I think she's still in a bit of shock," Raintuft admitted, a long sigh escaping her. "It's rough and unlucky for that to happen to just a kit."

Windstar sighed. "Maybe StarClan was telling us something from that experience." She conversed with Raintuft some more.

"Perhaps," Raintuft shrugged, looking down once again timidly. "If I get any sort of dream on a situation, I'll alert you."

"Thank you, Raintuft." Windstar said rather curtly, sitting.

"Cherrykit..." She then faced her daughter directly looking at her in the eyes, a disappointing tone in her voice. W-What?

"You can't train as a warrior." Windsplash mewed, closing her eyes with a sigh. "You.. you can't join the elder's den, so.." She paused. "You'll need to become a medicine cat."

Cherrykit knew Raintuft was nearby. "R-Really? Isn't learning about plants just boring though?" Although that wasn't what she wanted to say entirely, she'd just have to go with it and hope Raintuft wouldn't take it personally.

Raintuft purred with amusement. "It's much more than just that, Cherrykit." She purred, her soft voice making Cherrykit relax. "You heal cats, and get to cross into other territories without being told otherwise. There's so much more, but we'd be standing here for three sunrises or more!"

Cherrykit didn't see what was bad about the idea... but at the same time, she confused herself because she didn't want to. Well, If I can't become a warrior, then I'll just have to take it! Better than nothing. Why can't I become a warrior though? I'm perfectly fit! She was a bit bitter and it would take a couple of moons to process the idea, but hopefully, perhaps, she'd warm up to it.

She sighed. "Okay. Fine." She decided at once. "I'd much rather be a warrior, but I guess it's better than nothing!"

"I'll be proud of you the same way. Don't you worry, Cherrykit." Windstar rubbed her cheek against Cherrykit's. "I need to go. Follow what exercises Raintuft makes you do, it'll only help you feel better."

Cherrykit nodded, blinking and sighing disappointingly as she watched her mother leave. Raintuft focused back to sorting her herbs.

"What can I do to help?" Cherrykit said, quite moodily, too. What's so fun about this?! She looked at the plants, getting mixed feelings. I wonder what that one does... She looked up at Raintuft.

"Well, you can sort my marigold pile, I needed to use some for Hawktalon. He got pretty hurt by those foxes." Raintuft replied, her soft voice patient.

Cherrykit nodded, blinking in understanding. "Where is he? Is he gone? Did he die?" asked Cherrykit.

"No, no no, silly!" Raintuft purred. "He's doing fine. He just needs to take his shoulder easy. Resting helps it get better."

Cherrykit blinked, questions clouding her head. "So what does marigold do?"

Raintuft smiled. "Getting into the spirit, I see." She smirked.

"No I'm not! I'm just asking what it does-" Cherrykit said defensively. "Not that I want to learn more or anything!"

"Whatever you say." winked Raintuft. "Anyways, yes, you place marigold on the wounds, sometimes with cobwebs. It helps soothe and stop infection, cobwebs, however, stop the bleeding. An infected wound can kill a cat."

"Oh." said Cherrykit. This is interesting. She thought. No it's not! What am I doing?

"Cherrykit- are you okay?" asked Raintuft.

"Daydreaming," mumbled Cherrykit. "I'm a bit tired."

"Just rest then." Raintuft swept her tail along Cherrykit's flank soothingly, "You'll need it."

Cherrykit yawned, she did have to admit she was tired. She was about to lie down, but then she heard Windstar yowl.

"Let all cats gather around this rock for a clan meeting!" yowled Windstar, her mother.

"Gravelkit, Blossomkit and Cherrykit. My kits, please come up." She mewed.

The three kits did as they were told. They all stood, Gravelkit looked as if he was going to fall over he seemed that excited.

"Cherrykit, it has now been six moons and you should be apprenticed. Due to your unlucky injuries, you have chosen the the ways of a medicine cat for the clans benefit. Raintuft shall be your mentor and guide you through the paws of StarClan." Windstar said.

Cats exchanged surprised glances, but Cherrykit just faced Raintuft, smiling. I may not be a warrior, but at least I am certainly alive. Raintuft seems nice. This will be a breeze!

"Gravelpaw, your mentor shall be Hawktalon." He mewed, the two touched noses slowly. Gravelpaw's eyes lit with excitement.

"Blossompaw, your mentor shall be Heatherwind." Windstar said, once more, watching the two cats pad up to  one and another, purity filling the air as they touched noses.

I haven't heard much about Heatherwind! Maybe she's really cool, like my sister! That's why Windstar chose her. Cherrypaw decided in her head, she stood next to Raintuft patiently.

She felt Gravelpaw's yellow glance burn against her, to Hawktalon, he pointed to Cherrypaw with his tail.

"She couldn't train to become a warrior, like Blossompaw and I." He said, and Cherrypaw had to admit the tone and mockery in his voice really hurt her.

Does the clan think of me like this, StarClan, have I made the wrong decision?