Chapter 17

Cherrypaw rubbed her eyes once more. She was really going to get no sleep today, wasn't she? She saw the sun now rising and she hadn't even slept one moment. She felt it all hit her now as she slowly lumbered around carelessly around the den. At least Raintuft wasn't there.

She still looked through the entrance to see Rosewillow and Harepounce fight the cruel beast. Windstar was also there and immediately Cherrypaw worried that she'd lose another life. The badger grunted as Windstar threw a sharp swipe at its chest. Immediately, the badger ignored Rosewillow and Harepounce tearing at it and focused on Windstar. It swiped Windstar off her paws, so now she was lying on the ground, with a bloody shoulder. The wound looked deep, but she was still going. As she was about to pick herself back up on her paws. The beast's eyes glowed as it picked her up in its jaws.

"No!" Cherrypaw wailed, completely ignoring what Raintuft told her not to do. Leave the den. She ran, paws thrumming against the ground, over to Windstar in a desperate attempt to try to save her. She met eyes with the beast. "You'll regret that!" she cried at it and immediately other warriors like Hawktalon and Timberclaw tried pulling her away, but her motivation kept her strong and they could not successfully get her away.

Cherrypaw jumped at the badger, even though she barely had any fighting skill. She was just angry that it had done such a thing to Windstar. By this point, it had dropped Windstar and had now focused on Cherrypaw. Cherrypaw got on its back and just tore at it, landing swipes that were not deep enough to kill it, at the back of its neck. The beast flung her off, and she was lying on the ground. The other cats, like Heatherwind and Lightstorm, started running towards her to help.

The badger pushed Heatherwind out of the way and she let out a groan as she lay on the ground and the beast trod over her hind legs. Lightstorm on the other hand, he was still on his feet, trying desperately to defend Cherrypaw. Harepounce and Rosewillow caught up and were now, yet again fighting the badger. Lightstorm also was helping. But the beast yet again ignored them. Jaystorm crept in and yelled for Heatherwind to get up, dragging her still conscious body away from this cruel beast.

The beast picked Cherrypaw up angrily in its jaws, just as it did to Windstar. She felt pain overcome her. She yelled and cried for Windstar but the grip the beast held was too strong for her. She kicked and squirmed around for what seemed like ages before everything faded.

 She awoke lazily with Raintuft standing over her. It was dark outside of what Cherrypaw could see in her weak vision. Especially only with one eye. It was like she was in StarClan with all the circling mist around her.

"Thank StarClan you're awake..." Raintuft said with a sigh. "I worried so much about you. The badger managed to take one of Windstar's lives, and, I mean, you only have one, so I was so worried about you... but... you managed to pull through despite being so young and little. I'm amazed!" Raintuft meowed.

Cherrypaw took a good look around her. Across the den lay Windstar, who was asleep. Next to Windstar lay Heatherwind. She did remember Heatherwind getting trampled on before she fell unconscious. To the other side of Windstar was Yarrowpaw. Which was a bit strange considering she never saw him? He probably came to the mess after she went unconscious. She did have to admit, she did feel bad. After all. She led the badger into camp and caused all this ruckus. Though, she did partially do the right thing by waking up everybody in the clan to aid her. Though she could never face and tell Raintuft the truth.

"Ouch," Cherrypaw coughed as she moved her hind leg. She must have broken it. "Why is Yarrowpaw here? I never saw him last time and how severe are my injuries?" Cherrypaw said in a mumble directed at Raintuft.

Raintuft sighed. "Your injuries are not a threat to you. They will heal in a while from what it seems. Especially now you are conscious once more." Raintuft replied to her question, Cherrypaw felt relief flow through so quickly that it felt to her like a rushing stream.

"...However, about Yarrowpaw, another badger came through the entrance. This time a slightly smaller one this time, and the apprentices tried fighting it off. You've been asleep a while but actually, some of the apprentices have been in and out for herbs for their wounds. Yarrowpaw just happens to be the most severe. The badger has ripped his tail to shreds and it seems to be causing him great discomfort. Luckily, no other cat got injured fighting the second badger. Just scratches, but they recover quickly if treated well." Raintuft explained.

"Oh, well anyway, I'm glad to hear." Cherrypaw rambled on. "It was a very rude awakening." Cherrypaw tried joking around but couldn't help but looking down at her moss bed knowing she was lying, straight to her mentors face and she did not know.

Raintuft looked down giving a slight smile. "It was. But, hopefully, it does not cost any of the injured their lives. We've had so much death over the seasons. I fear to lose any more of my family. Especially after Rockwind was taken away from me too early... my dear honourable father."

Cherrypaw just kept her head looking down. "I'm sorry, Raintuft. But I understand you. I lost Skywing as well, it has taken a great toll on me, but I'm always going to stay strong. You've always told me to be, after all."

Raintuft looked happy. "I'm proud of you, Cherrypaw. Despite everything dramatic that's happened to you within your lifespan, you've always been quite bright and accepting. You were brought forcefully into medicine cat life but you are odd because you just let it happen. I don't think I could ever be faced with a situation similar to yours and be so calm. You'll make a great medicine cat when I'm gone. I know it." Raintuft rubbed her cheek against Cherrypaw's.

"Don't give me all the credit," Cherrypaw said right. back. "You've always looked out for me, Raintuft. You've always listened and advised me. Despite your grumpy times at other cats and even me. If I had a different mentor I think I would dread these duties. Instead, I wake up and realise I've been brought into a path of luck. My life could have been so different doing elder duties for a living."

Raintuft smiled. "Well, I'm going to leave you alone now to recover. If we chat for too long I will miss when I have to give Yarrowpaw his next herbs for recovery. Get a good rest, Cherrypaw. You need it." Raintuft meowed.

"I will," Cherrypaw vowed, she liked having meaningful conversations, it brightened her day sharing her feelings, and quickly, as Raintuft advised, she was falling into a deep, deep slumber.