Chapter 15

"The allegations from StormClan shocked us all attending the gathering." Windstar had said. "However, we will not let this ruin our reputation as a loyal clan, unlike StormClan, it seems."

"So, in case this does escalate, we will be upping border patrols on a day to day basis in case StormClan try anything. We want to be prepared. Mentors, please do more fight training with your apprentices. We want to ensure no lives are lost against this pointless allegations."

"Probably just an excuse for Flashstar to murder some of our cats," Gravelpaw whimpered and half-told Mallowpaw with anger. "I don't want to lose my family..."

Gravelpaw was surprisingly right. Perhaps Flashstar was cruel at the heart. They had to see. Things hadn't escalated yet, anyways.

Cherrypaw tried to ignore the ache in her heart. After all, she was a medicine cat. She didn't have to fight. However, she knew that if a battle did break out, she'd be stuck in the den treating cats all day, which, to some degree, she didn't particularly mind doing.

She let out a sigh of relief at her comforting thoughts. She honestly knew Windstar - her beloved mother - would make the right choices for her. She would lead the clans to the victory of MapleClan.

She did admit it hurt agonisingly in her heart to not walk and be alongside Blossompaw and her friends. In some aspects though, she was very much grateful for being a medicine cat.

"You okay?" Raintuft flicked her ear. Cherrypaw was just staring into the horizon. She shook her head and looked at Raintuft with a smile.

"I'm good." She said.

"We have really no tasks at the moment. We're up to stock in everything surprisingly. So I don't mind you lounging around in camp. It's just really trying to prepare what herbs to use."

Cherrypaw nodded, excited to finally get a day in. Blossompaw talked about a day in sometimes, like if their mentor wasn't feeling well they would get to chat in the den.

There is a lot of MapleClan apprentices too, she must have had a lot of cats to talk to! Cherrypaw thought, a glimpse of curiosity sparking in her for a long and hard moment.

She watched Blossompaw trod out of the den, sighing. Pigeonpaw was in front of her and her ears perked up in happiness.

The two engaged in a happy conversation immediately. Cherrypaw wondered sometimes how it was so easy for her. Maybe because Blossompaw was a lot unlike her, Cherrypaw was shy, secretive, and aggressive, at times, and Blossompaw, well, she was sweet, charming and kind. By the side of the medicine cat den there lay a pile of rocks and stones. This is where the cats sun themselves. Cherrypaw padded over to it, thinking of past experiences. Letting the sunbeams warm her pelt, she let out a purr of relaxation.

But, immediately she stopped after she thought of that rogue that tried to drown her when she went to the Moonpond. She had to admit it was pretty scary. Was that a sign from StarClan though or just really bad luck, what if the cats didn't come, would she be dead right now?

She sighed, she fell into a slumber there, under the hazy maple tree and beside the rocks, the sun hit off one side of the rocks but it seemed to warm the whole stone. Sometimes Cherrypaw even wondered if it was leaf-bare...

She, however, was waking in a misty, dense and foggy place. You could see the lines of air drifting around the mist was so thick. It was night, but despite the heavy mist and dense fog, up in the sky, the stars burned bright. There, coming out from the mist, like an omen, she saw her father. Skywing pad forward, glaring at her with an open smile.

...Immediately love had filled within her. She felt the instinct just to run up to him to tell him just how much she missed him, but with every paw step on the ground, it seemed like he got further and further. Then, with a frustrated cry from Cherrypaw, who was collapsed on the ground, now desperate just to see her father, her whole vision faded. The last thing she remembers is seeing was the stars above her, still burning bright.

"Sleeping there isn't gonna make your nightmares any softer, Cherrypaw." called a soft, chilled, upbeat voice, it was Hawktalon, Gravelpaw's mentor. He was crouching down, blocking the sun from her, prodding a paw into her flank through Cherrypaw's blurry vision, of the brown tom, in the background, the sky was darker than it was. It seemed roughly like evening now.

"You've been whimpering. You fell asleep next to the tree. The other apprentices informed me, they were concerned for you. Are you okay?" Hawktalon whispered, in case it was a private matter.

Cherrypaw at that moment didn't know what to say, instead, she nodded silently, not wanting to go any further into the detail. She was fine and that was that. Instead, she let out a small smile. She knew she could trust Hawktalon just by his warm, chill, genuinely concerned tone.

She noticed him looking towards the nursery. "Sorry, I know you were just asleep and having a nightmare and all, but, I actually have a question to ask you while I'm here." Hawktalon went on, "So, uh, well, I was told to watch my kits while Hollystream goes out and gets fresh air but I forgot all about the arrangements Hollysteam and I made, so I volunteered for patrol and need to go... Can you look after them, Cherrypaw? It might help you cool off from your nightmare." He said, awkwardly smiling. "I know Moonfall can look after them but she's sleeping, so are her kits. I wouldn't want to wake her."

"Say no more," Cherrypaw chirped. "Being a medicine cat makes me feel strongly about kits."

Hawktalon nodded. "Thank you, thank you!" the tom looked really happy. "If the whole clan had to say something good about you, you'd be there for sunrises. I and Hollystream won't forget this."

Cherrypaw laughed. "It's seriously no problem, Hawktalon." And with that, she trodded towards the nursery. It was something for her to do, right? She probably wouldn't be tired either tonight because of her nap midday.

There was the two kits, Dovekit and Owlkit, wrestling. They weren't causing a ruckus but it would be worth telling them to calm. Cherrypaw thought.

Cherrypaw really didn't have a motherly instinct either, she was just an apprentice but not only that - a medicine cat. But knowing right from wrong is the least a mother should know to ensure her kits are safe.

"Hey," said Cherrypaw in a whisper. "I'm looking after you two, you can play but don't be noisy. Petalkit, Bumblekit and their mother are sleeping. Okay?"

The two kits gazed at each other playfully. "Yay, you're the best Cherrypaw! It's so dark! Hollystream never lets us stay up this late!" she bounced in excitement, the leaves ruffling beneath her.

Cherrypaw remembered despite her nap, she would have to go to sleep dead early. It may be late for the kits but very early for the apprentices, even at that, there is a lot of chatter from the apprentices' den and sometimes she hears it. Sometimes even warriors, like Heatherwind, Tigerhawk and Poppyleaf go into the den and tell them all to be quiet.

Cherrypaw sighed as she lay down and watched the kits play fight. Usually, kits are really noisy during a fight but they've taken Cherrypaw's advice to be quiet and not wake the others in the den up, which is reassuring.

Hollystream came through the entrance of the nursery, giving a bright smile to Cherrypaw. The kit's sigh of defeats could be heard as they would have to go to sleep. Cherrypaw giggled and left.

"Thank you, Cherrypaw. If you ever need me to pay back, like find some herbs, my lazy bones are here." She said twitching her whiskers.

Cherrypaw smiled, even more, she was grinning practically. "It's my pleasure. I'll tell Raintuft we have a challenger." She winked and set off, Hollystream let out a small snort in the background, and moments later Cherrypaw had found herself back in the medicine cat den.

Raintuft was asleep, her flanks rise and fell in a heavy breathing rhythm. She must have been quite tired, as it was still pretty early. Then again, Raintuft liked to be organised.

Everyone was settling into their dens. Cats always do it early so they can chat in peace for a while before drifting off. After all, it's a peaceful way to drift off rather than force your eyes closed so you can sleep.

Cherrypaw just knew from here it was going to be easy to make an escape to get out. Especially going around the back. No-one would notice!

Just maybe perhaps it was now a perfect time to see Mosspaw...