Chapter 10

"Hey, Cherrypaw.." said a sweet she-cat voice from behind Cherrypaw. It took Cherrypaw by surprise - after all, she was walking with her own clan. Only really Raintuft spoke to her.

"Huh?" Cherrypaw turned, and there Mallowpaw stood. Not threat - but happiness and warmth shone in her emerald green eyes.

"If you're going to tease me - you may aswell say it and leave." Cherrypaw walked slowly alongside her, shame and exhaust in her eyes.

Mallowpaw. "What?" She looked bewildered. "Who told you that? I just wanted to say hello. After all, your Gravelpaw's sister, and I mean, I'm friends with Gravelpaw!"

"N-Nobody," Cherrypaw said quickly. "I just thought you would something. Gravelpaw says nasty things all the time to me."

"Really?" Mallowpaw frowned, suddenly curious. "Well, I can speak to him if you'd like." She purred. "He's really easy to talk to if you're me. I never knew he was anything like that to you. You're a very talented cat. Sometimes I think he's just jealous."

Jealous? "Why thank you!" Cherrypaw's ear tips felt red and hot. "You're probably the only cat that's said that."

Mallowpaw smiled, somewhat joyfully. "I can guarantee you it won't be the last."

Cherrypaw smiled. She had been so nice to her. Was she dared or something? After all - she seemed so geniune to her.

"Well," Cherrypaw mewed, more calm than tense as she wouldn't have to worry about Mallowpaw. "It was nice talking to you."

"It was. I gotta go find Gravelpaw. He gets impatient. Sometimes I wonder why he wants me to talk to him so much."

Turns out, Gravelpaw was right in front of her. "Hey! I heard that!" He mewed, turning around briskly. "I told you - the reason is that you're really the only friend that hasn't betrayed me."

Mallowpaw smiled. She padded alongside him, comfortingly. Cherrypaw pondered while walking.

...Hasn't betrayed him? What does he mean? She shook it off like nothing and kept walking.

○ ○ ○

Cherrypaw had to admit she was tired. Raintuft however had suggested that they do some fight training, so Cherrypaw could defend herself during battle.

"Yes. You bat at your attacker like this. Don't flail your paws!" Raintuft let out a mrrow of amusement at Cherrypaw's attempt. Cherrypaw sighed.

"I'm not good enough." She concluded. "You may as well find another apprentice,"

Raintuft sat down next to Cherrypaw. "Cherrypaw.." she said. "I'm not liking your attitude recently. What's up?"

"Nothing." She quickly mumbled. "I just have been tired. I didn't mean to say that - I swear."

Raintuft didn't look as if she was proven right and rolled her eyes. "Well," she unsurely replied. "Okay."

After that, it had been a long training session. Cherrypaw was panting but at the least she learned some new moves. "Thanks, Raintuft. I didn't mean what I said earlier - really. I'm just so stressed and tired and I feel more stronger now. Thank you, I really needed this honestly." she mewed quietly, and they set back to camp.

She got back to camp, and had seen Rosewillow and others crowded around a body. Cherrypaw frowned. This needed further investigation. She padded over to the body. It was Doeflight's.

"What happened?!" she mewed, quite loudly also.

Rosewillow sighed. "I was with her on patrol. So was Briarfall. We went scent mark the borders, but then, Marshclaw jumped out while we were split up and killed Doeflight. He threatened us too. We had no choice but to fight Marshclaw - as Windstar's wishes were clear when she exiled him. Me and Briarfall killed Marshclaw. He won't be a problem anymore - but he's taken the lives of so many cats. I wish we could of killed him sooner."

Cherrypaw was shocked. She had heard of the tales of Marshclaw from Nutfall and Mousebird. He had poisoned cats and abused medicine cat role. It made Cherrypaw feel better about herself that she was a 'good' medicine cat. She'd never do anything he did.

"...Poor Doeflight," she sighed.

Briarfall sighed too. "One last thing before death, Marshclaw said he'd get back his daughter. I'm not entirely sure what that means-"

Mallowpaw. Cherrypaw stiffened. Mallowpaw was the daughter of Doeflight and Marshclaw. Doeflight openly admitted it and Cherrypaw heard Windstar did scold her but since Marshclaw never really followed the medicine cat code anyways she couldn't blame her.

Mallowpaw was horrified when she found out, and she hopes to never be like him. It was quite dark and Cherrypaw has to admit she feels quite bad for Mallowpaw. Her brother, Littlekit died at birth, and now her mother is gone. Cherrypaw assumes she probably never cared about Marshclaw because of all the things he had done.

It pained Cherrypaw to not know what it was like for her. Then again, she didn't want to know what it was like, she had a loving father. Skywing was always so passionate to Windstar, and when herself and her littermates were born, he couldn't stop visiting them.

Cherrypaw let a small tear roll down her cheek. StarClan stole Skywing away from her. She'd never understand StarClan - however - she would have to bare with it as her role as a medicine cat. All the trips to the moonpond, all the visions and prophecies, it's unavoidable for her.

Cherrypaw was grateful though that StarClan accept her. In the midst of all her drama going on, at least she had StarClan to look up to, and guide her.

As she looked at the sky, she realised the time. Mosspaw! She thought, slowly. I got to meet him. I was too busy in a tiny vigil for Doeflight and got lost in my thoughts!

She watched as warriors nodded to each-other. Mistyrose and Cinderwing for example, the two walked to the den together, ready for the nights sleep.

Cherrypaw had to be devious and sly however. She made her way to the medicine cat den, glancing over to see Raintuft sound asleep. She smiled to herself and all the camp noise was daring down.

She peered out - seeing Antpaw chatting with Flamepaw, his leg all healed up. Gravelpaw and Mallowpaw were not too far behind, calling them.

Won't you hurry up? She growled slightly to herself. Raintuft tossed and it alarmed her.

She looked again. They were gone. She bolted out of the den, out of the entrance, turning behind her to see if there was any cat, but there was none.

She had gotten away, successfully, too.
Now... all she had to look forward to is her meeting with Mosspaw. She could feel excitement tremble in her body as she headed toward StormClan territory...