Chapter 14

"Cats of MapleClan!" said Windstar, her voice confident and proud. "It is time for another gathering. I must select the cats to go."

"I pick Jaystorm, Raintuft, Cherrypaw, Tigerhawk, Briarfall, Peblecreek, Heatherwind, Cherrypaw, Gravelpaw, Mallowpaw, Blossompaw, Violetpaw and Yarrowpaw." She mewed, jumping down from the rock.

"Okay," Cherrypaw said to herself. She followed behind Raintuft timidly. She'd see Mosspaw again - she realised - and something lit up a part of her.

"Let's go," Windstar mewed, leading her clan out of the heather, bracken and thorn entrance.

Cherrypaw bounded along the streams and rivers of the MapleClan territory, seeing if she could spot any herbs while at it to find. It might be worth collecting the most they could before all the disease starts to break out.

She saw a patch of nearly frozen over burdock and pointed at it with her tail to Raintuft, who nodded. "Good spotting," she waved her tail in acknowledgement. "However, it will probably live until tomorrow so I wouldn't worry."

The chilly cold ground iced into their paws. They ignored it mostly but Cherrypaw had to stop at some points to shake them for a moment it was that cold. They finally arrived at the hill on which the gathering tree was in.

Cherrypaw realised with her heart rate bumping up that Mosspaw would probably be here. She felt her heart thud out of her chest, beating very fast. Luckily, nobody would notice under her thick fur.

There were several other apprentices in the area, like Harepaw of StormClan talking to Furzepaw of RoseClan. Badgerpaw was by Furzepaw's side. Eaglepaw wasn't far behind Harepaw looking up into the night sky. Was she thinking of someone?

Cherrypaw followed Raintuft as she turned to see the medicine cats. Dustleaf, the DawnClan medicine cat, raised her tail in greeting to the young MapleClan medicine cat. Daisybush, RoseClan's medicine cat, was talking to Stoneblaze and Mosspaw.

"Hello," Raintuft purred. Cherrypaw stayed a bit behind her. She hadn't really ever spoke to Dustleaf or Daisybush, but Raintuft beckoned her forward. Daisybush had then padded over at that moment to Dustleaf.

"This is my apprentice, Cherrypaw. She's been my apprentice for a while but she can be really shy." Raintuft purred. Cherrypaw nodded timidly. 

"Hello," she meowed. Her heart was still racing. Every so often she'd glance at Mosspaw, who didn't seem to take notice she was there, yet. He was chatting, with his back turned to her, to his mentor.

Was he mad that I couldn't show up that one night? Cherrypaw felt sudden sadness in her. What if he didn't want to be friends? What would she do? She did have Mallowpaw and a couple of others - but sometimes - she felt as if they were just pitying her.

She focused her attention back to Raintuft. The pretty she-cat was still talking with the two other medicine she-cats. Cherrypaw slid away.

"How are you both doing?" she meowed, padding over to the two. She didn't want to seem desperate to the point where Raintuft was suspicious.

"Good." Stoneblaze purred, Mosspaw nodded, but didn't say anything further.

"How about you join us over here? Raintuft is talking about some clan gossip." Cherrypaw winked. Mosspaw shook his head but Stoneblaze nodded intensely.

"As a medicine cat I never get to do that!" Stoneblaze meowed, excitement in his eyes. He went over to go join the three she-cats.

Cherrypaw was left facing Mosspaw. She felt her heart race once more. She was semi-alone with him. She didn't actually expect this to happen. She felt as if they'd both join and they could have one great big conversation - but she enjoyed this also.

"Hi," Cherrypaw purred. Mosspaw sat down.

He closed his eyes. It was as if he completely dismissed Cherrypaw's greeting. "Why couldn't you come? Do you not like me?"

Cherrypaw's eyes widened. "Mosspaw - no!" she mewed, quickly. "I was just tired. All my clan refused to sleep that much that night. I saw apprentices out in the dark, I saw warriors. Raintuft was up at some points too! It was just so hard to find an escape. I had no other choice but to sleep. I can't tell you how guilty I feel. I'm so sorry."

Mosspaw smiled. "I wasn't mad," he added. "I was just disappointed. I like our conversations and games we play. I felt so in the mood."

Cherrypaw laughed. "Well, we can do it tomorrow, if it's not bad weather and hopefully further on from there!" she purred. "If I don't turn up, it's not that I don't like you, it's just I couldn't get an escape."

"StormClan is so easy to escape from. My clan sleep like an elder does. Like, sometimes it's not all that dark and they decide they want to sleep." Mosspaw joked.

"Yeah. I wish MapleClan was like that. Then maybe I might get a good sleep most nights and I'd be able to get away to see you too." Cherrypaw winked. "It's really all I ask for at the moment."

Mosspaw let out a mrrow of laughter. As he did that, they heard Flashstar's voice speak up.

"Cats of all the clans, please band together with your clan again." Flashstar boomed.

Cats padded back to their clans, Cherrypaw knew she was sitting near MapleClan because she caught the glimpse of familiar heads, like Tigerhawk and Pebblecreek.

So she sat, her small able body next to Raintuft, and the leaders nodded at each-other, some form of tensity in their gaze.

Windstar stood up first, twitching her tail. "MapleClan have been great. Cinderflight and Icemoon have been made warriors, Hollystream and Moonfall have given birth to healthy litters. We hope the central of leaf-bare won't be too harsh on us."

Flashstar flicked his tail. "Show offs," he murmured and stood up.

"StormClan are fine, and we have had a smooth leaf-bare so far. However, we found some scraps of prey on the border between MapleClan and StormClan. Care to explain, Windstar?"

Windstar's eyes narrowed. "Stop spreading lies about MapleClan. Did you even investigate it?"

"Yes, Windstar." Flashstar said slowly with a tone of passive aggressiveness. "It had MapleClan scent. You're also one to talk about lies."

"We would never steal or eat any of your prey!" snapped Windstar suddenly, her tail lashing. She growled agitatedly. Poppystar shared a concerned glance with Flamestar.

 "You better watch your back Flashstar," she hissed, her gaze cold as it burned soul-less into Flashstar's. "Because, for a start, MapleClan do not hesitate to fight for our innocence, nor tolerate liars. Come on, MapleClan. Let's go. That way we don't have to watch him lie any further."

"You're trying to cover it up." Flashstar said coldly.

Windstar gave him a glare. "In your dreams, I never knew you were the one to pick fights, Flashstar, what happened to the old you? You've become so cold and blunt."

Flashstar's eyes widened. For some reason he genuinely looked hurt.

Windstar jumped down from her branch and rolled her eyes. "Mouse-brained StormClan think they can get away with lying." She shook her head.

Cherrypaw was even scared by the whole situation. She had never seen her mother so angry. She realized with a panicking jolt that she was going to be going against StormClan if this continued, which means, she might see Mosspaw or not hear from him...

What about their plans?