Chapter 16

Cherrypaw very slyly crept over Raintuft. She turned to the right slightly, now laying on her side. Cherrypaw watched her intensely for a minute, stiff with fear.

She let out a sigh of relief when Raintuft let out a snore. She was deep sleeping.

Cherrypaw poked her head out of the medicine cat den. No cats on the clearing were to be seen. This would be perhaps another perfect escape. She bolted out, trying to stand on the edge of her paws so the grass would not shift beneath her paws. Then, once out the camp entrance, she broke into a run.

There was the white and black tom she knew. His ears flicked back in fear as he heard something and then when he realised it was only Cherrypaw. Joy lit up in his face.

"You made it," He said, in slight awe. Cherrypaw tilted her head but snickered.

"Well of course I did. I wouldn't be standing here if I did!" She smirked and sat down, a relaxed look in her eyes lingered.

"That's the Cherrypaw I know," Mosspaw said in a low, soft voice. "It's so nice to be here again, don't you think?"

The gentle mild breeze in the air and the black night sky with stars. It was soothing, he wasn't wrong on how nice it was to sit once more there. There was a small lake in the distance on StormClan territory, barely within Cherrypaw's eyesight, however, the bright blue starry reflection was clear. It was really nice!

Mosspaw looked to the side slightly, murmuring. "I'll take that as a yes, you look quite stumped there."

"I'm not stumped!" protested Cherrypaw rolling her eyes. "Just daydreaming. We are meant to be asleep... you know. I had napped midday for this!"

"You don't need to get angry, I was only joking," Mosspaw sniggered but slight regret was in his eyes. They turned playful again though. "But, whatever  you say."

Cherrypaw let out a 'tch' kind of sound as if fed up, she wasn't really, but she was kind of annoyed, as she looked really dumbfounded in front of him. She was acting kind of stupid, in her opinion. There was a long shared silence between the two.

"S-So... uh, how's clan life, then?" Mosspaw said, looking down at his paws and shifting them. He was making a rather awkward attempt to revive the conversation they had going before.

Look what you've done now, Cherrypaw. He doesn't know what to do. You've made it awkward, as usual. Cherrypaw's thoughts told her.

"I'm fine, I mean, I don't like all the tension between our clans. At least were medicine cats and we don't have to battle each other. Though I hate to think that one of my cats could kill one of your relatives or dear clanmates. But at least we are not faced with the worse." Cherrypaw looked down, scraping her claws in the ground.

"Yeah," Mosspaw replied. "Same, I wouldn't ever forgive them," Mosspaw said, his gaze suddenly burning. "I'll be honest. I really don't like Flashstar. He was okay at first, his eyes were prideful and there was something within him that made us all feel he was going to lead us to greatest, but I guess not. All the cats in my clan still love him, but only Stoneblaze and I see the true darkness within them. I don't think he'll do anything horrifyingly bad, just little things. I don't think he is truly evil like Marshclaw. Just not fit for being a leader." 

"Of course," Cherrypaw replied. "I'm glad my clan's not like that. Windstar is my mother and she definitely knows right from wrong. It's a shame it's like this for you. You'll pull through." Cherrypaw rubbed her cheek against his and felt a sense of relief run through her. It was calming to be with Mosspaw.

But, sadly, for both of them, the time had flown by. The sun was onset for rising. It was a chilly night as well, and the morning patrols would be out in a while. Mosspaw gave a small smile before saying goodbye and touching noses with Cherrypaw.

"Bye, Cherrypaw," Mosspaw called as they both stalked away. Cherrypaw looked behind her with a smile and she was sure Mosspaw saw it. Cherrypaw stalked through the maple tree forest, not expecting very much to happen. The air was thick with the stench of MapleClan and the maple trees mixed. Cherrypaw had to admit, it was a nice smell.

At that moment, she heard some leaves rustle and she froze. Had someone found her? She started to sweat immediately despite it being chilly and she felt terrified.

"C-Come out, where ever you are! I can explain this!" Cherrypaw taunted, not very well though, of course, due to her stuttering. Cherrypaw knew she wasn't very threatening but it was the least she could do.

Then instead of a cat, she saw a huge badger cross in front of her. She froze. That was the thing she heard. Not a cat. The badger's glowing eyes met with hers and she immediately broke into a run. Oh no StarClan, no!

Cherrypaw didn't even look behind her once. She was too scared. She broke into the entrance of MapleClan. That's when she looked behind her. Nothing. She let out a sigh of relief. As she started to trod back to the medicine cat den. Then, she heard something again. The badger at the entrance. She didn't know what to do.

Do I call for help and reveal I was awake the whole time? Or do I go back to sleep and expect the other warriors to find out? Cherrypaw was in her thoughts. She did not know what to do for a moment and let the badger nosy around the camp. Surprisingly it did not charge at her, or, at least this time.

Wait. I know.

Cherrypaw stood outside the medicine cat entrance, rubbing her eyes pretending as if she was just asleep. "Badger!" she screeched. Immediately, cats started to groan and headed out of their dens to their eyes to widen. Cherrypaw sat, pretending that she was just asleep. She didn't know if it was paying off but Raintuft woke up and frowned at her.

"Cherrypaw get in the den. It's early and you won't be able to fight that thing off." Raintuft said, grumpily. Raintuft treasured sleep and went to sleep quite early and if she is awoken by another cat, she is usually quite grumpy anyways, so, Cherrypaw thought nothing of it and stood at the back of the den, peering into the entrance. Raintuft left the den and she immediately felt scared once again.

Did I get away with it? Cherrypaw thought, somewhat relieved, but her mind immediately went into darkness again. Will this encounter make her responsible for a clanmates death if the badger is that dangerous?