12. surprise: part one

Katniss:

"You shouldn't do all this for me, I'm only another year older, the most I've done for you is get you a book." I say with concern at the fact that I'm 20 years old. Peeta leaves the bed at night when I've fallen asleep to plan a 'surprise', and he thinks I haven't noticed. Now it's the morning of my birthday and I've walked into the living room to find a bouquet of flowers and he's wearing a cute little hat on his head.

"I'm old." I say with a hint of sarcasm.

"You look exactly the same as you did when we were sixteen." He says with a smile, "Happy Birthday, Kat."

"Kat?" I ask, it's a nice nickname.

"I thought it was a cute nickname, it's okay if you don't like it—.".

I cut him off with a kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck, my hands wandering through his blonde curls. It makes my body warm and fuzzy when he find his way to my waist.

"I like it. Seriously, thank you for all of this. I've never had a proper birthday before." I say, he's too kind for his own good.

"Well today is going to be the best day of your life, I'll make sure of it!" Peeta promises.

"I'm holding you to that." I reply, jokingly. "That's a big feat."

"I can top it." He shouts as I walk up the stairs to ready myself for the 'best day of my life.'

***

"Hurry up!" Peeta calls eagerly.

"I know it's my birthday, but showering is important." I joke. "I'd rather not look like a prune.

"You could not shower for a week and you'd still be perfect to me."

"As nice as that is, it's also disgusting." I reply, walking into the kitchen with my eyes closed, as instructed.

"You can open them now." He says, not being able to hide the excitement in his voice.

"Alright alright."

I open my eyes to see my Mother standing in my living room, a sad smile plastered on her face

I'm not sure how to react. I'm so glad she's here but I'm angry at her for not keeping in contact since last year.

But when I look into her soft blue eyes, all the emotions melt away. It's just relief. She hasn't come back here in 4 years because the pain is just too much. But now she's here, and surprisingly I want her to be.

"Mom." I say with tears in my vision as she walks over and embraces me.

"Happy birthday Katniss. I've missed you so much." She whispers, stroking my hair.

"I've missed you, too." I mutter. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't coming back to 12."

"Peeta called me and told me to come and visit. I know we haven't spoken, but I'd love to get to know my daughter again if that's okay with you."

This makes me burst into tears. I realise that I know hardly anything about my Mother. "That would be great." I say, there's just something about the way she strokes my hair that makes me feel 7 years old again.

"Peeta, thank you." I say to him again. "I don't deserve any of this."

"It's nothing." He replies, "Anything to get you outside of the house." Throwing me a sarcastic smirk.

"I'm staying here for a couple of days, as long as I can cope with. I'll be in the house next door to settle but I'll see you in a few hours." My Mother says, she's seeing me in a few hours? With that, her and her luggage are out the door. Everybody seems to know everything before I do.