03 | spiders

three
spiders.

"I NEED YOUR help," Selene declares that evening to Ambrose, who's staring at her in amusement

"I NEED YOUR help," Selene declares that evening to Ambrose, who's staring at her in amusement. "I want to scare my principal, not kill him." She then holds up two glass cages full of Hilda's spiders. "And well, I'm taking this as a sign from the Dark Lord himself."

"Why is that?" Ambrose raises a confused eyebrow.

"He's afraid of spiders," the strawberry blonde smirks. "And Hilda won't need her familiars tonight, so... will you help me?"

"You know I will," Ambrose purses his lips as Selene moves so she's sitting next to him on his bed. She then hands him a picture of Principal Hawthorne, and he can't help but grin.

"Are you sure you don't want to kill him?" He questions jokingly. "Because we could do that."

"As tempting as that is, I don't want to kill my school principal," Selene rolls her eyes. "I just need the guy to take a sick day tomorrow."

"Right," Ambrose nods, before gently dropping Hawthorne's picture into one of the cages of spiders. "Well, we'll only mildly traumatize him, then."

Ambrose and Selene then join hands, closing their eyes and whispering the spell. "Spider O Spider, pray why do you spin your pretty white web so fine and so thin? To catch fat flies and make them into pies. Spider, O Spider, pray, do you not see? Here comes a big, buzzing, blundering bee. He'll spoil your fine net while you fume and you fret, but no mercy you grant, and no mercy you'll get."

Once she's satisfied it worked, Selene pulls her hands away from Ambrose's. She's quiet as she returns the empty cage to Hilda's room, knowing the spiders will find the way back on their own before she heads back to Ambrose's room, returning to her spot on the bed with a smile. "Thank you, Ambrose."

"So, why did you wanna do all this?" Ambrose questions as Selene moves so that she's laying on her back besides Ambrose, allowing her eyes to flutter closed.

"Sabrina wants to start a club to help some of the girls at our school," Selene informs quietly, feeling her breathing begin to slow. "I need to get Hawthorne out of the picture, so we'll be able to start the club."

"Ah, that's why," Ambrose nods, laying down on his side so that he can face Selene. "You really will do anything for her, won't you?"

"I'd do anything for you and your entire family," Selene is quick to correct him, but she doesn't open her eyes. "I love all of you."

Ambrose is silent for a moment, considering what to say, but when he opens his mouth to speak, he realizes that Selene has fallen asleep. A small smile finds its way onto his lips as he gingerly pulls a cover around the strawberry blonde, not objecting when she moves to wrap her arms around him, the way she's done so many times when she's fallen asleep in Ambrose's room.