13 | batibat

thirteen
batibat.

AMBROSE SEEMED HESITANT, but after she asked, he climbed into the bed with her, finding her presence comforting

AMBROSE SEEMED HESITANT, but after she asked, he climbed into the bed with her, finding her presence comforting. So comforting that he fell asleep in a matter of minutes, but neither of them expected to be pulled into a nightmare by the sleep demon who wants to torture the Selene and the entire Spellman family until one of them breaks ranks to unseal the house and set the demon free.

Selene's nightmare starts off happy, but quickly turns to hell...

When the strawberry blonde opens her eyes again, she's standing in the Academy of Unseen Arts. Her father is standing in front of her, waiting impatiently for her to complete her last test.

He's monitoring her test of the Seven Wonders to make sure she's as powerful as everybody suspects. Every upcoming High Priest is forced to complete the test, and so far, Selene has passed six out of the seven tests easily. The only one she has left is Vitalum Vitalis, which tests a witch or warlock's ability to balance the scales between one life force and another.

Faustus heaves a sigh as Luke rolls out the body of a dead warlock on a cart. Selene grimaces at the smell of rotting flesh, but she takes a hesitant step closer, bending down so that she can touch the dead boy's blue, cold lips.

She then sucks in deeply, and when she breathes out, she feels some of her magic transfer to the boy's corpse. She then mutters a spell so quietly that nobody else in the room can hear it.

And sure enough, the boy jerks awake with wild eyes, searching his surroundings frantically. A bright smile finds its way to Selene's lips as she realizes she's finally done it. She's finally reached her true potential.

Faustus smirks proudly at his daughter before he snaps his fingers at Luke. "Get the boy out of here. Take him to the infirmary."

Luke nods before doing as told. Faustus then takes his daughter to the Church of Night, where he gathers the rest of the coven. "Today will go down in history as the day that will change everything for this coven. The Dark Lord has finally gifted us with our first female High Priestess. That's right. My daughter, Selene Isabella Blackwood has passed the test of the Seven Wonders, and will be my successor after I pass."

Most of the church begins to clap in excitement, but the oldest witches and warlocks whisper amongst themselves, talking about how a female has never been the High Priest. According to them, females aren't fit to be the head of the church, because they make decisions based on their emotions, not on what's best for the church.

"Hush!" Faustus demands angrily. "The Dark Lord possessed my daughter with the powers to become the next High Priest, and that's what she will be!"

Selene remains silent until a group of witches and warlocks rush into the church, carrying three bodies. Everybody gasps as Faustus rushes over to them, growing pale once one of the warlock's tells them who the dead witches are.