[11] The Boy at School

Nico groaned loudly as he threw himself at the table at lunch. He'd barely made it through his classes without cursing or killing anyone.

It was official.

He hated schools.

And teachers.

And students.

And mostly importantly - homework. It was the first day and already the teachers were lauding them with a shit ton of homework. When was he supposed to complete it ?!

Also, as if normal school troubles weren't enough, he had to worry about 3 subjects specifically.

Herbology - because it spelled D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R after angering his step-mom;

History of Magic - because he heard it was taught by a ghost (what the hell ??!!) and he still hadn't gotten around to warning the ghosts (it was his first day, give him a break !);

and last, but definitely not the least,

Defence Against the Dark Arts.

The name spelled trouble. Maybe not for everyone but DADA seems foreboding to you when you're...I dunno..the Dark Arts itself !

So yeah, Nico was not looking forward to classes.

Someone dropped onto the bench beside him. It was Will, his ridiculously cheerful boyfriend. A small smile found it's way onto Nico's lips.

Will always made everything seem much better.

"Hey Sunshine. Eat up quickly ! Don't wanna be late for DADA now !"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico was freaking out internally as he walked down the corridor with Will, (how I wish I could type 'aisle'...) searching for the DADA classroom.

Nico would have gladly kept searching for the rest of his life - provided they didn't actually find it - but these darned wizards were too helpful and led them to the right classroom.

There was a long line - actually two long lines - in front of the closed door as the two demigods reached their destinations : Gryffindors and Slytherins, most of them standing across from their inter-house partners and glaring holes through each others' skulls.

If looks could kill...

As Nico glanced around, he noticed that the three wizards whom they were supposed to keep company (for lack of a better word like, dunno, look after or babysit) were missing - running late, he assumed.

Seemed counterproductive if what rumours he'd heard about their relations with the Defence teacher not being the best were correct.

Finally, the three appeared, running down the corridor to make it in time. The girl seemed to be scolding them while the two boys were just rolling their eyes at her. As the trio skidded to a halt beside them, Nico swiftly sized them up.

His partner, Hermione Granger, seemed to be the intellectual one among the three and probably helped them in their quests by spellwork and concocting strategies. But from what he knew of their adventures and about Hermione herself, she didn't strike him as someone to make such insane plans.

Harry Potter – the one who definitely had a crush on the hot blonde and was denying it – seemed to be the leader and the one who kept the other two together. Fairly intelligent, but certainly not a mental giant. He probably led the other two in battle. Nico was reminded of his ex-crush, current cousin and recent friend Percy Jackson. The two boys seemed almost clones of each other – except the glasses Potter wore. They were both of the same, lean build and were both tanned. Even their freaking eyes were the same colour !!

And the third – Ronald Weasley. He, too, seemed like Percy to Nico, what with his ability to inhale food. He was oblivious in the same way all straight guys seemed to be, but his case didn't seem as serious as Potter's. He didn't seem much, but maybe he had some hidden talent.

Before Will could get talking to them a man arrived who could only be the Defence professor.

Snape, if he remembered correctly. Severus Snape.

The man swooped down on the eighth years like a bat and suddenly Nico was hit with a staggering feeling – the feeling he got when someone close to him died. Having a lot of practice with that, he managed to keep his calm – Will being the only one to notice (Which wasn't surprising. The boy could tell if he had skipped a meal from a mile off) – and looked around.

Apparently, none of the students around him seemed to have dropped down dead.

Surprising.

Then he recalled that he had been struck with the same feeling when he first met Hazel. He had the ability to sense death as well as direct connections to death (that would explain why he felt Potter's presence so keenly. 

After all, he was The-Boy-Who-Doesn't-Die or something of the sort).