18:♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

"You shouldn't be doing this."

To You, I wanted to say but to me it was okay and good. "It's honourable."

"I know it is." I was currently laying on my bed and Avril had immediately called after finding out from Vera that I had already gotten a job.

"But?" I asked.

"But you should come to work with us. My family loves you and Jay would definitely love working with you." Avril's family owned one the best auto shops in the country.

"But I don't. Besides, I don't know anything about autos."

"Jay would teach you." She insisted.

Jay was her younger brother who was also a university student at one of the best universities in the country. He was a lover of cars and since he was young,he always wanted to work at their company.

"But I don't want to too." I insisted.

"Think about it. The pay will even be better than at The McConnell's."

Why couldn't she understand that not everything involved money? Sometimes, a good mental health was better compared to any amount of money stored in the world bank.

Once again I insisted. "Please don't push it Avril. I'm comfortable with where I am and what I'm doing."

I heard her sigh on the other side. "I'm just worried about you Steph."

A smile threatened to appear on my lips."I know. And I'm grateful."

We continued talking. Jumping from one topic to the other and when we said our goodbyes I found myself getting out if my bed.

"Thank you." I flopped into the sofa.

Vera looked at me from where she was, with a mop on her hand and a bucket of water besides her."I really hope you've not left any footmarks behind you."

I smiled."No. I waited for the floor to dry." She hated it, when I stepped on a wet floor while she was still doing the cleaning. Like today.

Saturdays, our general cleaning day.

I was supposed to be the one doing the cleaning today but since I came home late and tired yesterday from work, Vera offered to do the cleaning today and I would her's next week.

Wasn't my sister just everything one could wish for?

"I'll go get it." I said when our door bell rang.

Vera threw me a look that asked, "Are you expecting someone?" and I shook my head. We rarely received visitors to our home. I got out of the couch and headed to open the door. What met my sight was someone I never expected to see at my doorstep.

"Sir?" I asked, surprised and confused.

What was James McConnell doing here?

"I want you to come back to work." He commanded, wasting no time and not beating around the bush.

My jaw dropped."I'm sorry sir but I—"He raised his right hand up, cutting me off.

"I'm not asking you,I'm commanding." He said, his jaw clenched. "You should come back on Monday if you don't want my company to sue you for breach of contract."

My brows knitted."Breach of contract?" Vera asked besides me. I had not even heard her approach us.

"Yes. Don't tell me you signed the contract without reading it?" He asked amusement overtaking his hardened wrinkled face.

No!I felt as if a bucket full of cold water had been poured in me. That day, on my first day at the McConnell's enterprise as a PA, when I went to the Human resource manager's office, I had taken the contract and signed it without reading. What had I gotten myself into?

"Wait a minute, I'm coming back." He excused himself, walked out and left us standing at the door.

How could have I been so irresponsible? I turned around and Vera was already looking at me.

"What is that man talking about?" She asked, her forehead creased.

My bottom lip quivered, a thousand emotions rushing through my body."I-i signed the company's contract without reading it."

He jaw dropped. "What? Why didn't you?" She questioned, her voice raising a little bit higher.

"I was tired and angry." I answered, hoping that she wouldn't push it anymore. How could I have been so stupid?

She looked at me unbelievably. "That's it? You were tired and angry? How could you have been so irresponsible Stephanie?"

"I was tired okay." I snapped. I had a lot of things going on in my mind right now. I was supposed to be thinking about the contract and I was not going to listen in on her lecture.

"But that is no reason for you to—" she  was cut off when we saw Mr McConnell walking towards us. 

"Here." He handed me a booklet.

"What is this?" I asked scrutinizing the book.

"Are you sure you are Stephanie Porter? Don't you even remember how the contract looked like?"He looked at me unbelievably

I didn't answer. I opened the booklet and it was the contract.

"You better read it carefully if you don't want to see more of me and my lawyers." He said straightening his coat.

"Lawyers?" What had I gotten myself into?

"After reading this, I expect you to be at your PA post on Monday." He said and walked out.

*****
Please vote and comment.