chapter two

gabriella

the loud ringing of the bell signalled that our first period had already ended. we all got ready, as i put my paper in my bag. "what do you have next?" i turned to simon, he asked me. "i have study hall." i answered back, which made him... frown?

"oh, i have chemistry. i guess i'll see you around?" i smiled and nodded. maybe i will make a friend this year.

we went our seperate ways and i went to my assigned study hall classroom. it was on the other side of the school, so i walked a little faster than usual. i would most-likely just finish my paper there.

as i reached the doorway of room 182, i recognized faces i had classes with last year. if you ask me, last year for me wasn't... the best. and i'm pretty sure this year won't be my year either.

"gabriella? you should come in before the bell rings." the teacher staying with us was, surprisingly, my aunt. i didn't even realize i've been standing outside the doorway for minutes. i nodded before entering the room, finding somewhere to sit.

it was quite hard to choose since the seats were for pairs, but thankfully i found one on the corner and one in front of the class that both had no one sitting there, so i took the one at the back. oh, how i wished i didn't pick that.

just moments before the bell rang, another person entered. he looked familiar, but i couldn't put my finger where i saw him from.

i hoped he would take the seat up front, but at the same time choose to sit next to me. you know? like, i'm relieved you didn't sit next to me, but also offended you didn't.

maybe i dozed off again because the next thing i saw in my peripheral vision, he was standing in front of me. "mind if i take a seat?" he had really brown eyes, and really, really sharp jawline. he almost reminded me of the dolan twins.

i didn't trust my voice, so i just shook my head and took my bag from the seat so he could take it. he smiled before sitting down. i already feel myself starting to be awkward about this.

"i'm aaron, by the way." he introduced himself, smiling at me. i actually found it courteous of him to even introduce himself to me. i'm pretty sure he knows the things i've made last year. i smiled before answering, "gabriella."

just as aaron was about to say something, the door slammed open, creating a craning noise and two people entered. just from the side of their faces i could recognize who they were. it was joseph, the school's supposed heartthrob, and valentina, the companion he always has beside him.

"mr. birlem, ms. warren? any reason for being late?" their expressions weren't even shocked, or embarrassed that they were late, more like they were in a rush. they had wrinkled clothes, and valentina had her hair quite messy, which was so not her.

"we, um. we had-" valentina stuttered, which caused joseph to take charge of explaining, or should i say lie. it was obvious what they did, isn't it? messy hair, messy clothes, late for class, and should i mention the swollen lips?

"we had to talk to our teacher for our project. it was complicated so it took some time." that alibi itself should have raised suspicion. who gives a project on the very first day of school? she nodded at the two to take a seat they they were quick to take their seats.

"so," i heard a voice beside me. i forgot someone was sitting beside me. i turned my head to look at him, putting all my attention to him, signaling him to continue. "what class do you have next?" he asked.

not minding the question, i answered, "chemistry." i smiled again. he was kind, and kind of cute. his smile made me smile more. his deep voice responded, "we have chemistry together." i don't know about him but that felt like it had two meanings.

i felt my cheeks heat up and bloom in redness. that definitely did took me off-guard, even though i knew what he meant. "no, i didn't mean it like that." he laughed, as i did too. "so, you don't mind if i walk with you?" "i should be the one asking you that." i muttered under my breath, hopefully he didn't hear.

i looked back at him with a smile, before shaking my head, "no, i don't really mind."

by lunch, i have been alone, once again. first week of school, in my school, we only had morning classes to kind of get settled in our new classes with new classmates.

now i stood alone, outside the school doors waiting for gilbert. i tried calling his phone but he didn't pick up. for what seemed like forever, gilbert finally exited the school premises.

"hey, sorry for making you wait. i had to handle something." he apologized. though it did make my legs sore from standing so long, it was okay. "it's fine." so we started walking down towards the school's parking lot, and not a lot of cars were left.

we reached his car and he got in the driver's seat while i sat on the passenger side and threw my bag and books on the back.

gilbert started up the car and drove off back home. it was a 10-minute drive so it took a bit of time. &burn by billie eilish was playing, because his phone was on the aux, when he brought something up.

"ella, so my friend is coming over in a bit," i looked at him, he knew i didn't like meeting people, "and we're going to a party later tonight, do you wanna ome with?" he glanced at me and back on the road.

"you know i hate that."

"which part? the meeting my friend or the party?" he asked as we pulled up to our house. as usual, mom's car is gone, she's probably working.

"both. and i have to meet your friend? who said i had to?"

"i kinda told him i had a twin and he wanted to meet you." he grinned at me, sort of saying sorry, sort of not.

"a HIM?!"